The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Nuisance/loose dogs.

Jjohnd

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I was out walking my lab bitch yesterday when a loose dog did his best to mount her. It was very aggressive towards me as I was spoiling its intended pleasure. Has anyone got any advice on getting rid of a nuisance dog in this situation? This was on a housing estate - no owner to assist.

Very difficult if he was planning to mount her. For less intent space invaders, throwing a handful of treats on the ground gives you time to get away. Whether that would be enough for this situation is debatable!

You could carry a stick, not to hit the dog but to block him from getting close.

If your girl is in season, there are sprays that help mask the scent.

You should report it to the dog warden though.

Very difficult if he was planning to mount her. For less intent space invaders, throwing a handful of treats on the ground gives you time to get away. Whether that would be enough for this situation is debatable!

You could carry a stick, not to hit the dog but to block him from getting close.

If your girl is in season, there are sprays that help mask the scent.

You should report it to the dog warden though.

Thanks for your reply. Is there a non harmful spray available? All replies gratefully welcome.

I don't know of one but that said I have never looked. I would worry though that to be effective, it would have to be unpleasant, and that could cause the dog to become aggressive to you or your dog.

There are air horns that make a noise but if it is loud enough to scare off the other dog, it would scare your dog too.

Sometimes, getting between your dog and the approaching one before it's got too close, standing as tall as you can, pointing in the opposit direction and saying 'GIT!!' or similar works.

I would also report it to the dog warden and/or police. This dog is out of control in a public place and, by the sound of it, could have bitten you, so this is an offence. They might not be able to do anything based on one report where you don't know where the dog lives, and may be even more limited because of the lockdown, but if more than one person reports this they may well take action.

Sometimes, getting between your dog and the approaching one before it's got too close, standing as tall as you can, pointing in the opposit direction and saying 'GIT!!' or similar works.

I would also report it to the dog warden and/or police. This dog is out of control in a public place and, by the sound of it, could have bitten you, so this is an offence. They might not be able to do anything based on one report where you don't know where the dog lives, and may be even more limited because of the lockdown, but if more than one person reports this they may well take action.

Judy. I noted which door it came from. I was in no position to knock on the door due to wanting to get my dog way but I will bide my time and hopefully catch someone going in or out of the house and have a sensible conversation. If the conversation is not a sensible then plan B will be taken. (Your suggestion).

Ok well all you do is ask the owner to keep the dog in. I enquired because these things aren't always cut and dried. My rescue lurcher some years ago ravished a friend's collie that had just come into season. We were out walking. But my dog had been castrated though in mid-life! It was quite a biology lesson for the school kids on the bus passing the field we were in.

Castrated dogs can still mate and tie. I wish vets would explain this to dog owners.

Well I know now! Can I just add the friend and collie owner in question is a gynecologist- who went completely to pieces and kept saying, 'this can't be happening!' :mad: No help at all.

As Joanne might remember a few years ago that I’m not a happy chap when there’s a offload dog being aggressive to my dogs , I might upset a few but if it dosnt move away when I try to move it on I’m sorry to say it gets a boot up his rear end, only recently just before lockdown I was walking a 10 year gsd for a woman with a bad heart who can’t get out, and all of a sudden this staffie appeared, no owner, no collar who was coming in for a fight, I started by putting myself in its way but it attacked the gsd but at the time of contact my boot twice hit him hard, he backed off but then came again so again he got another boot and gladly he wandered off,, I have no time for offlead aggressive dogs, I’ve had owners wanting to punch me on a few occasions and yes I’ve been lucky as I’m only 5.7 inches tall hehe but it’s just instinct to protect the dog I have in my hands , can’t be fun for older people who are slowly walking the dogs.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back