The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Observation-breeding

Karen-Coral

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Is it me or do there seem to be an awful lot of puppies/dogs up for sale/changing hands recently?

Are breeders asking too much? I know the cost has been discussed on here before.

How many before 'breeding' actually test the market and try to secure homes for their expected litter?

If not should they?

Karen-Coral said:
Is it me or do there seem to be an awful lot of puppies/dogs up for sale/changing hands recently?
Are breeders asking too much? I know the cost has been discussed on here before.

How many before 'breeding' actually test the market and try to secure homes for their expected litter?

If not should they?

hi karen in the process of finding a pup the price dose vary a lot what is the max do u think should be asked for a reasonable quality race come rabbiting pup your opion would be helpfull thanks Tony.

£100 is enuff for any whippet unless the dam as had 2 have a C SECTION then u have to think of that money been pain out :- "

I think most breeders would prefer to find their pups a good racing/pet home before thinking of the price to ask :- " but have to agree if a C section has been performed it can be very costly for the breeder :))

unwanted said:
£100 is enuff for any whippet unless the dam as had 2 have a C SECTION then u have to think of that money been pain out  :- "
I think thats near the mark though we have paid alot more in the past for a pup. We only breed if we want one ourselfs and we make sure we have enough good homes before we line the bitch if a c-section is needed it should put the price up as we had 4 pups in our last litter, one we wanted to keep and a vet bill for a c-section nearly £500. you dont expect and cant make a profit on pups, people just cant pay that kind of money. But I do think at the moment far to many bitches are being lined without giving any thought about where the puppies will end up. We have a bitch due to welp she has 5 pups and we have good homes for 4 of them. These homes were sorted before she was lined. If any pup we breed for some reason cant be kept by the owner we insist on having the puppy back, so its not passed around the tracks like pass the parcel.

tonydobbs said:
Karen-Coral said:

If not should they?

hi karen in the process of finding a pup the price dose vary a lot what is the max do u think should be asked for a reasonable quality race come rabbiting pup your opion would be helpfull thanks Tony.

Anywhere between £100-£200 seems reasonable to me...

I know C-sections are expensive but thats not really the 'buyers' responsibility is it?

thats true karen,u take a chance with any bitch in pup,but some of these price are killing the sport,and there is far to many people breeding bitches.the sport is not big enuff now to coupe with the amount around at the minute.

if i was to breed my wee bitch at anytime i would be happy if her pups all had loving and as comfy a home as does she and that the buyers knew what they were getting into when they bought the pup. everyones has there own reasons though for wnting too rehome of sell there dogs. :cheers:

RACING WHIPPETS ARE VERY CHEAP, AS YOU GET A LOT OF PLEASURE BRING THEM UPAND RACING THEM GREAT VALUE,WHEN YOU SEE THESE FANCY SHITTING MACHINES SELLING FOR £500/1000 AND ARE JUST FASHION ACCESSORIES AND IN SOME CASES TO CLOSELY BREED CAUSING PROBLEMS :thumbsup: TRYAND GET A GREYHOUND PUP WITH GOOD BREEDING YOU WILL BE WELL OVER 4 FIGURES FOR A HALF DECENT PUP.

DavidH said:
RACING WHIPPETS ARE VERY CHEAP.
I have to agree with you on that David when looking for other breeds of dogs the prices are way above racing whippets - like said on previous posts even to rehome a rescue dog you can be asked to pay £120 or more. Racing whippets prices haven't actually risen that much i dont think as i know it wasnt unheard of for dogs to be sold for well over £200 (usually adults who were well bred and showing potential) as many as 15 years ago, pups were and are possibly less as obviously however well bred its a gamble on how they will turn out for racing. You only need to look at for sale ads in local papers and alot more money is being asked for other breeds(dont know that i would call them'fancy shitting machines' as everyone has their own preference to breeds of dogs that they like :blink: ). It's all down to the individual as to what you want to pay i think (my opinion only) if you think its too high dont buy !

heres pups for sale 20 or so years ago,,,if a new pup now cost u say £200,,then its went up a £10 a year,,,,,£100 a £5 a year,,,giv or take a few quid :eek:

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.jpg

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
yes davidh but these fashion dogs as u say are peds not cross breds like non ped whippets

our dogs are breed for speed bring the greyhound into get size .what annoyes people breeding for money, example a bloke had 2 bull mastifs had 4 litters over 2 year made over £ 20000 the bitch is dead nowas should not of had the last litter. these dogs where bought for making money as the owner didnot care for dogs just money very sad :angry:

DavidH said:
our dogs are breed for speed bring the greyhound into get size .what annoyes people breeding for money, example a bloke had 2 bull mastifs had 4 litters over 2 year made over £ 20000 the bitch is dead nowas should not of had the last litter. these dogs where bought for making money as the owner didnot care for dogs just money very sad :angry:
:eek: thats awful :rant: i dread to think where pups ended up, with breeder with such bad attitude :(

When breeding a litter - if the brood bitch is looked after and the pups too by the time you have fed them, taken the bitch to the vets for check-up both prior to and after the birth there is very little money to be made from breeding, especially if the bitch has a "C" Section. :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back