New Home Needed Oisin ~ Big Loving Softie – 8Yo White/blue Greyhound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamakin

Rehoming Section Leader
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
OISIN

**UPDATED: 10TH APRIL 2013**

Key Points: Soft & loving, quiet boy, walks to heel, requires a relatively quiet home, can live with/without other dogs.

Oisin (Osheen) is an 8 year old Irish ex-racing greyhound who is very much looking for some love and TLC after spending all his life so far in racing kennels. Oisin is a gorgeous big boy with a white and blue patched coat, and the softest, prettiest face you could ask for. One look into his big chocolate brown eyes and we guarantee your heart will be melted! He is 28” to the shoulder.

Oisinshoot2.jpg

~ Personality ~

Generally: Loving, quiet, calm, soft, affectionate, very much content with the simple things.

Oisin is a really really soft, cuddly dog. Oisin doesn’t ask for much of anything, and is content to just enjoy any comforts offered him. 8 years is a very long time to spend in kennels, so right now even a duvet is an amazing luxury for this beautiful boy. He can be a bit unsure of strangers, especially men, but once he knows you he is a firm friend for life. Oisin really loves getting head rubs and chin scratches, and has just recently started coming up to ask for more affection. He will lovingly soak up any bit of TLC given to him. This boy is so incredibly easy to keep happy, and we very much hope he doesn’t have to wait too long for a forever home to call his own.

Beautiful Oisin was very fortunate to get himself a photo-shoot with Madaboutgreys (http://www.madaboutgreys.com/) recently, and wow did he light up for the camera!! This boy is an absolute delight and wiggles his way into hearts wherever he goes. Please consider giving the gorgeous Oisin a place on your sofa.

Oisinshoot1.jpg

~ Medical Issues ~

Oisin has had a dental now and had quite a lot of teeth removed. However this doesn’t stop him from any of the normal doggie activities, especially eating his dinner! Oisin also has a small hernia on his underbelly – it has been checked over by a vet and given the all clear as not currently posing a problem.

~ In the Home ~

Generally: Well behaved, loves human company, shares well with dogs, learning the rules.

Oisin has been in his foster home for about 4 months now, and it is safe to say he loves every minute of it! So far he has been very easy and is definitely a no-bother sort of hound. He has quickly picked up the house rules, is housetrained, and doesn’t counter-surf anymore.

Oisinshoot4.jpg

Oisin has also delighted his foster mum by starting to play with toys! It is a delight to see him open up ad come out of his shell. This boy really is a fantastic dog, just craving someone to love him and bond to. He is not destructive and has learned some commands such as ‘wait’ and ‘out’. He has also mastered the stairs! Given his love for comfort and warmth, he is taking to the home life like a duck to water.

Oisin is sharing his foster home with a male greyhound and a female lurcher, and they are getting on just grand. They are ok to eat together at mealtimes, and Oisin, being a foodie and all, waits patiently for the other two to finish before snooping over for leftovers. Oisin may be suitable to live as an only dog provided he wasn’t left alone for longer than 5 hours at any given time.

Oisinshoot3.jpg

Because Oisin is now 8 and clearly yearns for a quiet life, we would prefer to see him in a home without young children or overly playful dogs. Oisin would be a fantastic dog for a mature, moderately active home who would take him on daily walks but leave him snooze on soft beds and infront of warm fires for the rest of the time. This is all Oisin asks for.

~ Other Animals ~

Generally: Very good with medium-large dogs, non-confrontational, reactive to smalls as hasn’t realised they are dogs yet!

Oisin has really come out of himself since entering foster care and is learning to greet other dogs. Even when growled or barked at, Oisin has not reacted back and just walks calmly away.

He still needs to be watched with small dogs as he can ‘lock on’ from a distance and show a bit too much interest in their movement. If this is not corrected in advance it will result in a lunge, but this reaction is a common learning curve for ex-racing greyhounds and we feel that given more time and repetition, Oisin will get over this hump in due course. He is very good with medium-large sized dogs and greets them politely.

~ Out and About ~

Generally: Loves walks, keeps to heel, travels well.

Like most greyhounds, Oisin is a complete couch potato in the making and does not need a huge amount of exercise. He will be content with two 30min walks a day and perhaps a chance to stretch his legs offlead in a safe area once or twice a week. He would need to be let offlead in completely secure areas and initially with a muzzle until he has gotten over his small dog issues. Oisin walks like a total dream on the lead, you often forget that he’s even there! Though he doesn’t like climbing into the car, once in he settles well and is used to travelling.

~ Greyhounds as Pets ~

In general greyhounds are very calm, mannerly dogs that are used to being handled. They can fit into a wide range of different lifestyles and usually adjust to the home life very quickly. Their soft, easy going nature often makes them ideal to live in a family with children, while their love of lazing around and low exercise requirements can make them perfect for the elderly.

Oisinshoot6.jpg

~ Where Am I? ~

Oisin is currently in a foster home in Hertfordshire. He can be homed anywhere in the UK, but please note that you may be required to travel to his foster home to meet him.

~ Want To Adopt Me? ~

Oisin is vaccinated, microchipped, de-flea'd and wormed and a homecheck will be required as part of the adoption procedure. He has recently been neutered and is now totally home ready.

If you are interested in adopting Oisin, you can contact me (Tam) via email: tam@kerrygreyhounds.co.uk, or speak directly to Bronwen by phoning: 075 000 62648. Emails are usually replied to within 24 hrs.

There is an application form for adopting a Kerry Greyhound, and we will ask you to fill it in as the first step in the adoption process. To speed up this process, we recommend you do this before emailing/calling. You can find the form, as well as further information on our homing procedures, on the Adoption Page: http://s300889640.websitehome.co.uk/uk/adoption.html.

Thank you.

Tam

KGUK Homing Volunteer

~~ KERRY GREYHOUNDS UK ~~

Kerry Greyhounds UK is a voluntary organisation based in Norfolk, England. It focuses on rehoming unwanted Irish greyhounds and lurchers, as huge numbers are bred in Ireland each year and homes are few and far between. KGUK operates through a network of volunteers spread over Ireland and the UK. We can look after approximately 30 dogs at any one time in both kennels and foster homes.

Each dog is neutered, vaccinated, & microchipped before being adopted (unless stated otherwise).

We assess the suitability of all home offers, and we have homed greyhounds in all corners of the UK. If interested in one of our hounds, please feel free to contact us via the following:

Email: tam@kerrygreyhounds.co.uk. Emails are usually replied to within 24hrs.

Phone: Bronwen 075 000 626 48.

Our Website: http://www.kerrygreyhounds.co.uk

Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/KerryGreyhoundsUK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by a moderator:
Oisin is sadly still looking for his forever home. Being an older gent, we would dearly love to see him find the forever family he so deserves. If you are interested in adopting Oisin, you can contact me (Tam) via email: tam@kerrygreyhounds.co.uk, or you can speak directly to Bronwen by phoning: 075 000 62648. Emails are usually replied to within 24 hrs.

Oisinfosapr2.jpg

There is an application form for adopting a Kerry Greyhound, and we will ask you to fill it in as the first step in the adoption process. To speed up this process, we recommend you do this before emailing/calling. You can find the form, as well as further information on our homing procedures, on the Adoption Page: http://s300889640.websitehome.co.uk/uk/adoption.html.

Thank you.

Tam

KGUK Homing Volunteer

crikey he is beautiful!!!

He looks like the greyhound version of my dog, if thats not blowing my own trumpet! (my avatar doesn't do mine justice) I'm off to play the lottery this weekend, get me a bigger house!

Hope he finds a home soon, if i don't win the lottery first. Can't believe he hasn't been snapped up. That picture with the pelican reminds me of my dear Wally, an old greyhound friend, sadly missed.

Good luck everyone, x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back