The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Old Jack Russell Barking at night

Buzz lightyear

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My 14year old Jack Russell has started barking at night and won't stop. He's now deaf and gets agitated now looking for me around the house. His routine and environment hasn't changed he's always slept downstairs in the kitchen. We have another Jack Russell who is 11 and they are together all the time. The 11 year old is fine. I don't really want to bring them upstairs to sleep as they always want to sleep on our bed. Does anyone have any other suggestions re medication etc? I am longing for a good nights sleep

Dogs can, like humans, get an age related dementia. I have no direct experience with it in dogs but in humans disorientation and confusion at night time is quite common. Your vet may be able to prescribe something that helps. Although if sleeping on your bed would be reassuring for him, I'd reconsider that.

I agree with Joanne. What about a cosy crate next to your bed? You could try giving him something with your scent on too. Must be awful to be deaf and wake up not knowing where everyone is. We can read or watch tv, with subtitles, but a dog must feel totally isolated. You would think that having a doggy companion would help but, as with separation anxiety, it does not work like that. Dogs become very bonded to their human.

There has been huge advances in geriatric medicine so well worth a trip to the vet to see if they can help him.

One of our old dogs started doing strange things at night. (she was put to sleep about 6 years ago), at the age of 13.

Some mornings we had to go looking for her around the house, sometimes outside in the shed, other times outside squeezed in beside the freezer, on top of boxes. There were times we had to touch her to see if she was warm or stiff, but she always woke up wondering what all the fuss was about! Silly old lady but happy!

At this time we started to put some "pyjamas" on her every night just in case she got cold when sleeping out in the shed!

Her special pyjamas --- EQUAFLEECE, polo neck, kept her nice and cosy, she waited every night to put her "pyjamas" on.

We still have this special coat of hers 6 years on. 

Oh how I love "old dogs" !

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back