The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Old Lady

Discussion in 'Dog Health' started by Jean45, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Jean45

Jean45 New Member Registered

My old lady is a 17 year old Yorkie x Jack Russell, she is eating and drinking and doesn't seem to be in any pain, however she is losing blood as if she is is season, I am thinking of taking her to the vet but as she is in no pain I don't know what to do, what do people suggest?

2. Violet Turner

Violet Turner Well-Known Member Registered

Wow, thats one golden oldie :)... It sounds to me like she may be suffering from a condition called pyometra. This is an infection of the uterus in intact female dogs and is a very serious condition. It's most common in older dogs but can be any age. I recommend taking her to see a vet immediately to be evaluated for this. She can easily diagnose this with a physical exam, swabs, and sometimes with an abdominal X-ray. If she does have pyometra, she will need to be placed on antibiotics right away. Read this article and it should help a bit more - Pyometra

3. JudyN

JudyN Well-Known Member Registered

I believe dogs have seasons all through their lives, they don't go through a menopause like humans. So maybe it is a season. But you should still take her to the vet - at that age you should never take any risks.

4. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

The first question really is whether she has been spayed? If not, a season or pyometra are possible.

If it is pyometra, the discharge is more likely to be dark pus rather than blood but it is a very serious condition and she would need to see a vet urgently. Primary treatment is emergency spay rather than antibiotics.