The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Old Lady

Jean45

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My old lady is a 17 year old Yorkie x Jack Russell, she is eating and drinking and doesn't seem to be in any pain, however she is losing blood as if she is is season, I am thinking of taking her to the vet but as she is in no pain I don't know what to do, what do people suggest?

Wow, thats one golden oldie :)... It sounds to me like she may be suffering from a condition called pyometra. This is an infection of the uterus in intact female dogs and is a very serious condition. It's most common in older dogs but can be any age. I recommend taking her to see a vet immediately to be evaluated for this. She can easily diagnose this with a physical exam, swabs, and sometimes with an abdominal X-ray. If she does have pyometra, she will need to be placed on antibiotics right away. Read this article and it should help a bit more - Pyometra

I believe dogs have seasons all through their lives, they don't go through a menopause like humans. So maybe it is a season. But you should still take her to the vet - at that age you should never take any risks.

The first question really is whether she has been spayed? If not, a season or pyometra are possible.

If it is pyometra, the discharge is more likely to be dark pus rather than blood but it is a very serious condition and she would need to see a vet urgently. Primary treatment is emergency spay rather than antibiotics.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back