The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Onesie to stop shedding

Dibbythedog

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Has this been mentioned yet. It seems to be the latest thing.

Trainer blasts 'Shed Defender' onesie for dogs | Daily Mail Online
A onesie for pets that claims to help prevent them from shedding hair around their owners' homes has been criticised by a celebrity dog trainer.

Steve Mann, who is helping to train Lorraine Kelly's adorable new terrier puppy Angus, appeared on the presenter's daytime TV show to voice his concerns over the garment, promotional pictures of which have been causing controversy on social media.

The Shed Defender is a stretchy mesh suit designed to cover a dog's body and all four legs, and is billed as allowing owners to take their dogs 'wherever you want without worrying about leaving a trail of hair'.

But unconvinced Steve, who said looking at the suit was making him feel 'stressed', told Lorraine: 'If you don’t want dog hair in your house, guess what you shouldn’t have in your house? A dog!'

I get what he is saying. If shedding is an issue (and I do understand that) there are non shedding breeds which, equally importantly, don't also come with other issues.

IMHO - shedding is not an issue to be fixed. It's a feature of the dog, part of the package.
Just like the need to be exercised, trained, fed, etc.

If one can't ensure that the dog is properly exercised - he shouldn't have a dog that needs a lot of exercise, period. No matter how much he loves the breed, not a good match.
If one can't tolerate dog shedding - he shouldn't have one that sheds heavily. No matter how cute the fluffy one may seem, it's not a good match.

That said - I can see other useful applications of a full body suit, so I am glad it's out there.

I've seen couple of those when walking a my dogs, but their owners have used them to prevent their shampooed dogs getting dirty when out and about. But for shedding and for hours at the time....uh, NOOOOOOO!

I've seen couple of those when walking a my dogs, but their owners have used them to prevent their shampooed dogs getting dirty when out and about. But for shedding and for hours at the time....uh, NOOOOOOO!
Equafleece make a lightweight body suit that helps prevent extreme muddiness (and for some people perhaps Alabama Rot is a concern too) so that makes a lot of sense - but like you said, not for indoors.

It could be useful if you're taking a heavy shedder to someone else's house, particularly if there's allergies involved. Might even mean someone could keep their dog if someone developed an allergy (then you could remove it and groom them when out on walks?). But not for everyday wear just because you're too houseproud. If you are, get a stuffed toy instead of a dog.

It could be useful if you're taking a heavy shedder to someone else's house, particularly if there's allergies involved. Might even mean someone could keep their dog if someone developed an allergy (then you could remove it and groom them when out on walks?). But not for everyday wear just because you're too houseproud. If you are, get a stuffed toy instead of a dog.
good points (as ever Judy)!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back