The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Opinions on Rescue vs Breeder for new puppy

Logan's Gran

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello Everyone, I haven't owned a dog in my adult life but had a wonderful dog growing up. I'm planning on getting a puppy at or just after Christmas. I work from home so will be with the dog at all times, I have a house with a garden, no other pets and no small children (all grown and gone!). I'm keen on a Miniature Schnauzer but also keen to get a rescue dog and really don't mind a mixed breed at all. I would like a small-medium size, minimal shedding, homely, loving, not too high on exercise needs (I have a small garden and can walk daily an hour, can groom daily, happy to train). I don't want a breed that has known health issues or are very aggressive or 'crazy' as I've heard some breeds are. So I'm looking for opinions on whether to go to a breeder or to a rescue centre and if anyone can share their experiences or recommendations. This is my first post. Thank you very much.

It's a bit of a coin flip. At the moment, rescues are full to bursting with dogs, even puppies, as the bottom has fallen out of the market. So you could pick up a puppy or young dog (who already has learned all the puppy lessons) quite easily. But, a lot of these dogs will have been bred by less than conscientious breeders - with little or no regard to health testing or temperament. But rescuing eases the huge pressure on the shelters

However, going to a breeder has its advantages, provided the breeder is a good one. For a schnauzer a good breeder should be testing eyes and hips (scoring lower than 9.8) and breeding with another health tested dog that complements theirs. Behaviour is also hereditary so they should be selecting breeding pairs based on temperament too. So you are more likely to get a dog where you know the score.

There is a third option. Because rescues are so overstretched, would you consider fostering? Then, if the dog doesn't fit for whatever reason, there's no guilt in passing it on. But on the other hand, if you find it does work out, you can permanently adopt.

I'm a big fan of rescuing, because of the sheer numbers of dogs being put up for adoption right now. Maybe have a look at local rescues who already foster out their dogs - then you'll know that its personality has been assessed in a home environment. OTOH, if you want a younger pup, you may very well not know who the father is so it will be more of a leap in the dark.

It's a bit of a coin flip. At the moment, rescues are full to bursting with dogs, even puppies, as the bottom has fallen out of the market. So you could pick up a puppy or young dog (who already has learned all the puppy lessons) quite easily. But, a lot of these dogs will have been bred by less than conscientious breeders - with little or no regard to health testing or temperament. But rescuing eases the huge pressure on the shelters

However, going to a breeder has its advantages, provided the breeder is a good one. For a schnauzer a good breeder should be testing eyes and hips (scoring lower than 9.8) and breeding with another health tested dog that complements theirs. Behaviour is also hereditary so they should be selecting breeding pairs based on temperament too. So you are more likely to get a dog where you know the score.

There is a third option. Because rescues are so overstretched, would you consider fostering? Then, if the dog doesn't fit for whatever reason, there's no guilt in passing it on. But on the other hand, if you find it does work out, you can permanently adopt.
Thank you Joanne, this is very helpful. I'm afraid of fostering because I would find it so hard to part with a dog that I maybe should part with - attachment issues!! It's a good idea in theory though. I have two more questions for you. How do I find a good rescue centre? What breed is your dog? I noticed you yesterday when I was joining the forum and wondered what breed, and here you are this morning replying to my post. thank you.

I'm a big fan of rescuing, because of the sheer numbers of dogs being put up for adoption right now. Maybe have a look at local rescues who already foster out their dogs - then you'll know that its personality has been assessed in a home environment. OTOH, if you want a younger pup, you may very well not know who the father is so it will be more of a leap in the dark.
Thank you very much. This is also very helpful. I do love the idea of rescuing, but am scared if the dog has been mistreated or has behaviour problems because of trauma, etc., so that's my worry also. But one that has been fostered is a good idea, but won't the poor thing have anxiety being passed from one to another? That also worries me! I did also see a post from you last night when I joined the forum, and I'm very sorry for your loss :(
Thank you for your advice.

How do I find a good rescue centre?
I think a good litmus test is what sort of support they offer after adoption. Some - especially the foreign rescues - are only interested in a quick turnover, and if you have any problems, too bad; they have moved onto the next dog/person. In fact some are reputed to be a thin disguise for foreign puppy farms.

And word of mouth. There's obviously the big ones like Dogs Trust and Battersea but Many Tears and Wood Green have a good reputation. Others might have more suggestions for you.

What breed is your dog?

He is a cross between a Jack Russell Terrier and a toilet brush. :D

Also, listen to the questions the rescue asks you. If they are willing to let you have any of their dogs, step away. You want to be quizzed on your household set-up, how often you have visitors and if they are children, location (busy area with traffic, suitable places for dog walks, whether you have a garden), time the dog would be left for, your experience, your deal-breakers (e.g. not good with children, strong puller, separation anxiety). The last thing a good rescue wants is to have a dog returned to them because they didn't fit in. And they would probably let you meet the dog more than once to get to know them better.

Some dogs adopted from kennels do arrive with a lot of baggage from previous experiences. Dogs tend to live in the moment, though, so once they realise they are in a safe home, often settle in right away.

If you say approximately where you are in the country, someone might be able to recommend a good rescue.

Oh, and thank you for your kind comments. Saying goodbye to your dog is horrible, but it's all part and parcel of being a dog owner. And better than the alternative, which is dying before the dog :D

Also, listen to the questions the rescue asks you. If they are willing to let you have any of their dogs, step away. You want to be quizzed on your household set-up, how often you have visitors and if they are children, location (busy area with traffic, suitable places for dog walks, whether you have a garden), time the dog would be left for, your experience, your deal-breakers (e.g. not good with children, strong puller, separation anxiety). The last thing a good rescue wants is to have a dog returned to them because they didn't fit in. And they would probably let you meet the dog more than once to get to know them better.

Some dogs adopted from kennels do arrive with a lot of baggage from previous experiences. Dogs tend to live in the moment, though, so once they realise they are in a safe home, often settle in right away.

If you say approximately where you are in the country, someone might be able to recommend a good rescue.

Oh, and thank you for your kind comments. Saying goodbye to your dog is horrible, but it's all part and parcel of being a dog owner. And better than the alternative, which is dying before the dog :D
Thank you, this is great advice. I am in Caterham in Surrey but would travel the country for the right dog (only difficult if multiple visits are involved of course, if too far away). I am reading about puppy farms from one of the links, didn't know such things existed, absolutely heartbreaking. What a world.

I am in Caterham in Surrey but would travel the country for the right dog (only difficult if multiple visits are involved of course, if too far away).

I've just been looking at Rescue Remedies Dog Rescue, which I believe is based near Gatwick: Rescue Remedies Dog Rescue - Index page They look fairly strict and abrupt - which is a GOOD thing, and bear in mind they're probably sick of being told about all the dogs they can't save. It looks like they don't often foster dogs out, as they have a shortage of experienced fosterers, and won't foster with a view to possible adoption. However, they have detailed threads for each of their available dogs, and if you read some of these it might give you a good indication of what to look for, and what to expect from a potential dog... I've just been fantasising over their lurchers...

I do love the idea of rescuing, but am scared if the dog has been mistreated or has behaviour problems because of trauma, etc., so that's my worry also.
Hi and welcome:)
Personally, I am a big fan of rescue rather than buying from a breeder, all my lot over the years have just kind of come my way when in need so I took them on. Some dogs end up in rescue centres because maybe their owner has passed away or circumstances may have changed etc, so not all would of been mistreated or traumatized(other than the trauma of finding themselves in a kennel environment after coming from a loving home and owner:().
Good luck in your search!

Our Tom is from Rescue remedies ...we fostered many dogs for them ...Lynne gets bad press because she wont home any dog to anyone ...it has to be a perfect fit ....good luck with your search

Our Tom is from Rescue remedies ...we fostered many dogs for them ...Lynne gets bad press because she wont home any dog to anyone ...it has to be a perfect fit ....good luck with your search
I don't mind the scrutiny at all, in fact I welcome it given what I've been reading about!! Thank you, I did go on their website but it wasn't easy to find my way around. i'll make contact with them - thank you!

I would say that if you can find a GOOD breeder, you stand more chance of having a healthy pup to begin with, and advice and support throughout its life. But, like Rescue Centres, there are the good, the bad and the gorblimey. We can tell you some ways to recognise good breeders, and some of the tricks and scams used by the other sort, so you have more idea of what to look for. Rescue dogs can be lovely, and I've had those too, but some organisations are not at all knowledgeable, some no more than second-hand dog dealers, some offer no backup help/advice at all, some have a fluffy rainbow idea of dogs and not a clue of what is going on in their minds. So I think you are great for asking before you get your dog, and we will guide you through the prospective pitfalls if you would like us to. Even the best-reared, nicest-natured, healthiest dogs can give us all "moments" and between us here we've known most of them! Whatever road you choose, there is no judgement but lots of support here. We can also, if you like to read, recommend some useful books, and if you prefer to watch, helpful visuals. Additionally, I do recommend reading the blog of Canine Consultant Emma Judson, who really knows her stuff.

Emma is amazing, isn't she!

I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on in finding your companion @Logan's Gran .

Needless to say, if you come across a breeder or rescue organisation and want us to have a look at their website to see if there are any red flags, we will be happy to help.

Emma is amazing, isn't she!

I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on in finding your companion @Logan's Gran .

Needless to say, if you come across a breeder or rescue organisation and want us to have a look at their website to see if there are any red flags, we will be happy to help.
Ahh thank you Joanne, I will be back here. I work all weekends in December until 18th and then I have a lovely long run until March before I need to be away from home for a weekend so I want to have my new companion as soon as my work is over as i don't want to leave him/her and I can focus on them and their training, otherwise I'd have one right now!! That's why I'm doing my research now to find out more about the options. Thank you so much.

I would say that if you can find a GOOD breeder, you stand more chance of having a healthy pup to begin with, and advice and support throughout its life. But, like Rescue Centres, there are the good, the bad and the gorblimey. We can tell you some ways to recognise good breeders, and some of the tricks and scams used by the other sort, so you have more idea of what to look for. Rescue dogs can be lovely, and I've had those too, but some organisations are not at all knowledgeable, some no more than second-hand dog dealers, some offer no backup help/advice at all, some have a fluffy rainbow idea of dogs and not a clue of what is going on in their minds. So I think you are great for asking before you get your dog, and we will guide you through the prospective pitfalls if you would like us to. Even the best-reared, nicest-natured, healthiest dogs can give us all "moments" and between us here we've known most of them! Whatever road you choose, there is no judgement but lots of support here. We can also, if you like to read, recommend some useful books, and if you prefer to watch, helpful visuals. Additionally, I do recommend reading the blog of Canine Consultant Emma Judson, who really knows her stuff.
Thank you @Hemlock this makes perfect sense. I am completely open to and grateful for any and all advice you all choose to give me, especially the pitfalls! I will look up Emma for her blog and happy for some video links also that you want to send. Can I ask then, I have looked a lot at pets4homes websites which seems to list a lot of breeders who have all the tickboxes and seem to say the right things. Is this a safe source to find a breeder who might have the right puppy at the right time for me? Thank you!

Bear in mind that you don't want to be with your dog 24/7 for weeks/months and then leave them - once they have settled in you would want to work on leaving them, starting from a few minutes (or seconds if necessary) and building up gradually. And if you would like to be able to leave them with friends, relations or dog walker/sitters, again, make sure they're introduced, and you've had a trial run, before you need to.

Like so many others we’re drawn to rescues and, taking into account your initial thoughts re a suitable breed, a small sighthound could be the answer. We’ve always had whippets of various ages - we found our first on the road, aged about six months, thin, starving and probably abandoned by travellers. However, as JudyN has stated, a rescue may come with spiritual baggage and it’s a long haul. I’m speaking from experience - Mabel’s been with us for almost three years and it’s only been in the last two years that she’s started to trust me. She bonded with my wife in no time and may have been traumatised by a male. Now she’s a daddy’s girl but it took one helluva lot of patience. We were fortunate in that we were able to let her take her own time. It has been successful due to letting her set her own pace. As long as you’re able for such a commitment, good luck. Have a search re the characteristics of whippets.
5DD978D6-7291-4803-B8BE-B17B0FC6AF66.jpeg

Like so many others we’re drawn to rescues and, taking into account your initial thoughts re a suitable breed, a small sighthound could be the answer. We’ve always had whippets of various ages - we found our first on the road, aged about six months, thin, starving and probably abandoned by travellers. However, as JudyN has stated, a rescue may come with spiritual baggage and it’s a long haul. I’m speaking from experience - Mabel’s been with us for almost three years and it’s only been in the last two years that she’s started to trust me. She bonded with my wife in no time and may have been traumatised by a male. Now she’s a daddy’s girl but it took one helluva lot of patience. We were fortunate in that we were able to let her take her own time. It has been successful due to letting her set her own pace. As long as you’re able for such a commitment, good luck. Have a search re the characteristics of whippets.
View attachment 111980670
Thank you. It's so lovely to hear the stories of the rehoming - you people are amazing. This is a new world for me.

Believe me, it wasn’t easy but we got there. Can’t emphasise enough that it takes a lot of patience. You mentioned that you would be drawn to a minimal shedding type and without the need for a lot of exercise. Study the nature of a whippet. Caterham? I remember many an evening spent in The Harrow. A friend lived on Stanstead Road. Many misspent days as a youth!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back