The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Orange Roan Show Type Cocker Spaniels....Not many.

Barnyboy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have an Orange Roan Show type Cocker Spaniel, I've had him from 12 weeks, he is now 5 years. I used to live in London and walked him every day over Hampstead Heath were we would meet hundreds of dogs all sizes and breeds but only even met one like mine. I now live in a village in Hampshire and walk my dog in woodland, on beaches and along the River banks as well as parks and meet lots of dog walkers but can honestly say I have seen no more than about 4 the same breed & colour as my boy. I see loads of Working Cockers and different coloured Show Type but so very few Orange Roan.....why is this? I was wondering if they are not a popular breed for some reason.
I love my boy, he's adorable and I wouldn't be without him but I do wonder why there are not more like him about.

Could it be anything to do with the genetics, such that the orange roan is less likely to appear than the other colours? Personally I find the roans, both orange and blue, the most attractive. I found a thread about the most popular spaniel coat colours here: most popular colour? (haven't the time to read it all though).

I also wonder whether people are moving away from show types towards working types in the belief that the working types will be healthier. (I'm not saying they are healthier - I don't know enough about the breed - but that may be people's perception.)

Not wanting to derail the topic, but how is your boy doing now after his horrible experience at the groomer's? Is his coat growing back in OK?

I'm afraid it's all in the colour genes, and all far too complicated for me to get my head around!

Could it be anything to do with the genetics, such that the orange roan is less likely to appear than the other colours? Personally I find the roans, both orange and blue, the most attractive. I found a thread about the most popular spaniel coat colours here: most popular colour? (haven't the time to read it all though).

I also wonder whether people are moving away from show types towards working types in the belief that the working types will be healthier. (I'm not saying they are healthier - I don't know enough about the breed - but that may be people's perception.)

Not wanting to derail the topic, but how is your boy doing now after his horrible experience at the groomer's? Is his coat growing back in OK?
Hi Judy, thank you for your reply. I have met so many people with working cockers that didn't even know there was a show type and they automatically say "O so you show him" but know I don't. My dog was one of 6 pups, three girls all blue roan and the three boys orange roan. I spent 18 months looking for my dog as knew exactly what I wanted and I wanted to buy from a home breeder and be able to see both parents which I was eventually able to do. Mum was blue roan and dad who is a champion show dog orange but not owned by the breeder. My boy is the double of his dad but I never had any intentions of showing him, he's my baby lol (I will read the thread most popular colour)
His coat is slowly beginning to start grow, it was shaved so short it seems to be taking ages but hopefully by the winter he will have his coat back. He is taking a while to get over the trauma of being caged and it has left him what I can only describe as "hand shy" with strangers plus he now lays down flat when anyone goes to stroke him which is not like him.

That must be heartbreaking:( I'd ask anyone he's not sure of not to try to touch him, explaining that 'XXX's grooming parlour has traumatised him and he now has PTSD.' It makes me angry, I can only imagine how you feel:mad:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back