The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Oscar and me

Lyn&oscar

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
oscar has only been with us for a week and a half he is a gorgeous loving dog and I fell in love with him as soon as I saw him , however I am really struggling with his separation anxiety I have a diffuser and a collar to help with this he whines and barks even if I have left the room for two mins , I am going to have to go back to work next week any suggestions

Unfortunately, separation anxiety isn't something that can normally be fixed in a week or two and it's also something that won't improve if you leave Oscar before he can cope with it. Is it possible to find some sort of dog daycare, or a relation or friend who could take him during your working hours? How long will you have to leave him for?

Did he come from a rescue, and were they aware of this problem? Realistically, because of his SA he may not be the right dog for you - I know you'll hate to hear that, but it's no life for him if he's distressed while you are at work.

There's an article on Victoria Stillwel's forum that I wrote, which could give you some ideas to try: Separation anxiety - Positively | Victoria Stilwell | Forum Also, the book I'll Be Home Soon by Patricia McConnell is excellent. And the behaviourist Emma Judson of Canine Consultants is an expert on SA, and can support you remotely, so your location doesn't matter. It would be worth contacting her to see if she could help.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back