The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Other Dogs And Pups

poppyandava

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
HOPEFULLY MY BITCH IS DUE FEB

SHE AND OUR OTHER DOG POPPY ARE VERY CLOSE THEY LIE TOGETHER, CLEAN EACH OTHER AND PLAY SO NICELY. THEY HAVE NEVER HAD A FIGHT

THEY EAT OUT THE SAME BOWL EVEN SUNDAY DINNER LEFT OVER

Q) IS THIS ALL GOING TO CHANGE.

Q) SHOULD I TAKE POPPY TO INLAWS FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS.

Q) OR JUST LET THEM BE

MAIN CONSERN IS THERE FRENDSHIP

HOW BEST DO I DEAL WITH THIS

NOTE POPPY HAS BEEN SPAYED

THANKS VIC

I always do whatever the pregnant girl wants me to do. Most want their friend near right through the pregnancy, but i make sure nobody jumps on her belly or plays too roughly with her. When the mum to be starts nesting, she usually indicates that she does not wish the other dogs around, and that is the time they get banished from the room where is the whelping box prepared. That can happen couple of weeks before due date, or only half a day. One of my Danes wanted her mum to help during whelping, but that is rare and I do not normally allowe the other dogs anywhere near. This Dane got quite distressed when I tried to put her mother out.

Once the pups are born I keep the other dogs away, most seem to understand and make no attempt to go near the pups. If they do the mother usually lets know they are not welcome. That changes later on, with my girls usually when the pups are about 2 weeks, the other dogs start to enter the room and look in the direction of the whelping box, and the mum is OK with that :) . Some time between the 2 and 4 weeks the bitch lets her friends come near and start helping with cleaning. With my last litter the mum ended up to only feed the pups every few hours while the other 2 did all the other work :)

Just listen to what your girl is telling you, and best of luck :luck: :luck: :luck:

Although I have also heard about somebody having whole litter killed by their other dog. However they do hunt with their dogs. And I would never leave other dogs access to very young pups when I am not there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no experience with breeding at all but thought i'd just add this.

My mum had two biches and when one had a litter the other shared them,

in fact apart from feeding she was always with them and she didn't

like visitors near them either. :)

My friends saluki had pups recently. She olso owns the litter sister to the mum and an ex racing greyhound all bitches and all have lived together since the salukis were young. The bitch with the pupsmade it quite plain the day before the pups were born she didn't want the others around. They went to my friends parents across the road. When the pups were a couple of days old she fetched the others home and split the kitchen so they could see the others but not get to the pups. The mother was not bothered about her sister who was not interested in the pups but she attacked the greyhound who dared to go to the fence and look she got a bitten nose for her trouble. The pups are now 3 weeks old and the mum is ok with the others again :thumbsup:

I always play it by ear and see how the bitch is reacting to the others but be ready to have to split them up

Hi,

A friend told me to keep the father away from the pups when they were born.

However the day she had the pups, the father came in to have a look ( I will try and email you the photo), my friend was there and said be careful. I decided to see what would happen.

He walked in, she looked up at him and he kissed her and then looked at the pups. Everyday he would kiss her and then kiss each pup, as if he was counting them to make sure they were all there. He lay next to the whelping box everyday watching her and the pups. If she went out he would look after the pups, if they cried he would come and get us. Once they were mobile he would follow them checking them, he is the most devoted father I have ever seem (pity some humans aren't) and still is, as we kept two of them. :huggles:

We have some fantastic photos of him with the pups sleeping on his head, gnawing at him, he is truelly one in a million.

Hope this help but trust your bitch, she will let you know. It is just that both my bitch and dog are very devoted to each other. She adores him!!

Jenny ;)

Happy puppy days

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back