The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Our best trick / training result and how I taught it

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
We have a 10 week old puppy who we got at 8wks and she mastered 'sit' on the 2nd day we had her. I started teaching her as a sort of joke, and she picked it up after about 3 goes. Not exactly a trick, but I'm very proud of her! We have since gone on to 'lie down' and 'roll over', and we are training her to 'sit' before getting her dinner, going out, or getting a lift on to the sofa etc. etc.

We are now working on 'stay', 'off', 'down', 'leave it', and 'drop it'. It seems like these commands are the next level up and progress has slowed down quite a bit. I'm quite glad about this as we will need to think of more things to train her soon otherwise! On Saturday we get to take her out to the park etc. so I guess we will need to start training her to walk on a lead. We have tried in the garden but its not going too well. I'm hoping once she is out and distracted by smells and new things she won't be so bothered.

Well done!

Walking on a loose lead is very challenging as it is very concentrated exercise for a puppy. Try to think of it as teaching your puppy to follow you. Change direction, go fast, go slow, stop, start in order to keep her interest. Keep it very short.

If the lead goes tight then stop all progress. Only a slack lead gets you to move forward again. Keep it fun! Reward good behaviour with treats and forward progress.

I've been training Evie ever since she came home at 8 weeks. She seems to love it ( very food motivated!) and has been a nice bonding time for us both. She's nearly 4 months now and can: sit, down, stay (about 20 seconds) until I say 'free', sits for dinner until 'free', spin to right and left, touch, leave (sometimes!), in your basket. We're currently working on rollover but I'm not very good at it and she gets very excited. Also not forgetting 'leave the cat alone' which I'm pretty sure she understands but doesn't always follow.

Forgot to mention that we are also working hard on loose lead walking. I'm now on my third method having given up on first two. I'm now doing what Gypsysmum has suggested. Every time the lead tightens I change direction and it can take us some time to travel a very short distanc!! But I do think this method is working much better for us and it is getting marginally better, although far from good. Will keep at it - a bit every day.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back