The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Our whippet willow

Geoff & Debbie Senior

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Our whippet needs to run with dogs of her own group sight hound.
We let her run on the beach and she loves it and is tired out after an hour or so running with other dogs. I would love to let her run in our local park in Leeds where I live ,but the problem is there are too many people with untrustworthy dogs that don’t understand willow just wants to play not fight. I would love for her to have a go at rag lure chasing but don’t know where or when to take her. This is my first whippet and love her to bits , but being disabled I can walk her but can’t run with her. I should say willow is 6 month old and it’s like having a squirrel in the living room.
Can anyone let me know where I can take her.
Regards
Geoff & Debbie

If you Google for whippet clubs/societies in or near Leeds you’re bound to come across someone who’ll be able to give you information re fun coursing. We’re in Herefordshire and have attended one meeting. Mabel loved it but did me no favours - didn’t want to come back to me and just ran around the other whippets. Never felt so embarrassed before. Get it a try.

Kudos to you for thinking of her needs, but really she is better to run on her own because they are so fast that sometimes there are injuries that you and she can do without. I'd suggest finding a well-fenced dog park to hire and let her tear about in that on her own as well as what you already do. Meanwhile, whippets might be sighthounds but they have terrific noses for scenting, so you can play scenting games around the house and in the garden (I think we have a pinned thread on how to) and these are as tiring as tearing about without the injury risk.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back