The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Out Ferreting With Paul Sagar And The Whippet

mally

Mallyfieldwhippets.com
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Well I invited my good friend Paul Sagar for a days ferreting with the whippet on my ground. We started the day by having a quick walk around trying to find a hare to flush for the hawks using the whippet but unfortunately due to the farmer working the ground the hares were all in the fodder beat.

It's the first time the my whippet had seen falcons and she surprised us how steady she was in there company which was very encouraging for future trips.

Anyway we wern't going to be beaten and decided to ferret a length of overgrown hedgerow which i knew held a few rabbits. We had a walk down the hedge with my whippet vixen just to check if there were any rabbits at home, she marked the first 5 warrens. We made a few gaps in the hedgerow to make way for the longnets to go through, set them up and away we went.

The rabbits started bolting almost immediately with 4 in the bag from the first warren, with Vixen catching 2 before they hit the nets. We worked upto the last longnet we set and then decided to do a couple more warrens just bolting for the dog. We started ferreting at 9.45 and drove off the field at 12.30 with a bag of 17. Vixen accounting for 9 and holding the rest in the nets whilst we got to her.

I really enjoyed the day, it was one of those day where everything seemed to go just right. We did get the inevitable dig but even that was only 13" deep and i volunteered to dog that!!!!.

Paul was quite surprised with Vixen and i think he's took a liking to her, he's even asked if he can accompany us on a nights lamping with one of his saluki's....I think a little wager may be in order lol

I only took my second camera with us today so the quality of the pics arn't great and i apologise for that.

IMG_6837.jpg

IMG_6839.jpg

IMG_6840.jpg

IMG_6841.jpg

IMG_6842.jpg

IMG_6843.jpg

IMG_6844.jpg

IMG_6845.jpg

IMG_6846.jpg

IMG_6847.jpg

looks like you had a great day,must have been nice watching the hawks work.could watch them all day.some great action shots shame you didnt have your no1 camera with you.

Beautiful hawks, well done on a good days work, Vixen looks really fit.

:cheers:

Any pics of vixen and the hawks working?

Afraid not, the farmer was working the ground we wanted to be on, so all the hares were in the fodder beat. Plus i didn't take my main camera as it's got quite a bulky lense which would have hampered me somewhat with the ferreting etc... watch this space though as we are going up to scotland next month :sweating:

What a cracking day :D

Great shots of Vixen

A show dog and a worker !! What a star :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back