The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Out of control dogs off lead, what can i do?

Cece333

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
A few times when ive been walking my dog in the local woods I have come across an elderly man with 2 springer spaniels, my dog has been attacked by other male dogs a few times when he was younger and so is nervous around male dogs. Hes not aggressive but he is reactive if he feels threatened and cant get away from them. For this reason i keep him on the lead around other dogs unless i know its a dog he gets on well with. Every time i see them the dogs run towards my dog growling and barking in his face, they wont leave us alone no matter how far away i try to keep or if i try to move away. Its hard for me to try to keep them away as my dog is quite big, there is 2 of them and i also wear my baby in a carrier as i walk him. The man doesnt seem very stable on his feet and does nothing to stop them. Ive asked him to get his dogs and he just shouts at them and they continue to run around. Im scared that they will attack my dog, especially as hes on the lead and cant defend himself and i also cant do much as i have the baby, im also scared ill trip trying to get away from them and hurt my baby. I feel he should keep them on the lead since he cant control them. Is there anyone i can report him to or anything I can do?

You could try reporting him to the local dog warden and ask if they could at least have a quiet (but stern) word with him. It is illegal to have 'dangerously out of control dogs' and as I understand it, this applies if they simply 'scare' you - which given you are also carrying a baby while keeping your dog on lead would be quite understandable. Unfortunately, the chances of the dog warden being able to do anything right now are probably zero.

I have had success standing in front of my dog when another approaches, facing the other dog, putting my hand up and saying 'WAIT!!!' very firmly, so it's worth a try. If you have enough hands free, you could try carrying a walking-length stick and using it to block the dogs' approach. I'd be tempted to give them a thwack with it too if necessary, or use a water squirter, but there might be a risk of the dogs directing aggression at you, so is probably a bad idea.

Another approach is to throw a handful of treats onto the ground a few feet in front of you - it might stop them in their tracks and distract them for long enough that you can make a swift exit.

Is there anywhere else you can walk, at least until the dog warden is able to take action? Are there areas of the woods he doesn't go to?

Judy has given you some excellent and sensible advice. My rather less sensible, but still effective advice is that yelling ”my dog has has a terrible flea infestation” focuses other owners on getting their space invaders back under control.

Can you change the timed you walk if you meet him at the same time same place regularly? I'd definitely take evasive action, walking time or place change to avoid the situation as it seems the guy isn't going to be cooperative and you don't want to risk anything serious happening. The suggestion of fleas or mange is worth a try too.

Thanks for your replies! Some great suggestions here, ive thought about taking my dogs ball thrower to try to bat them away with, I love dogs and would obviously rather not have to smack someones dogs but feel there is not much choice sometimes. I may give it a go. I do tend to go at different times and try to avoid him, if i see him i try to either turn around or take a different path but if the dogs see us they come running over and are much faster then me. The fleas thing is a great (and hilarious) idea! Ill definitely use it on other dogs in the future but not sure it would work with this man as he is never even near enough to them to grab them. I suppose for now ill have to just keep trying to avoid them, il take the ball thrower to hit them with if they do keep coming over and once lockdown is over ill report it to the dog warden.

Just a point- don't even consider 'smacking' someone's dog! Hitting another person's dog could put you on the wrong side of the law and is extremely unsafe for you, specially if you are carrying a child. The last thing you need to be doing is escalating the aggression. Why not try to talk to the man in question yourself- maybe without your dog?- explain you are worried, this is upsetting you and try to find out when he walks- then avoid that time. Around here we have an elderly couple with a manic black lab. They're lovely but everyone gives them a wide berth. 11 am and the woods empty! If you can it's always best to try the amicable approach first.

I would only do it as a last resort if they wont leave us alone. There is nothing else i can do, i try to avoid and walk away but they just chase us. I have tried calling out for him to get them away or put them on the lead, he doesnt even have leads with him and he doesnt respond to me he just shouts at the dogs and carries on. I cant really get close enough to talk to him and I dont have time to go out searching the woods for him without my dog. I try to be understanding because hes old but i think its just rude and careless of him at this point and if he cant control them he shouldn’t take them out!

One day they will do it to the wrong dog and get the biggest shock of their life,it will only be a matter of time before it happens.

It is hard as you can only 'do' anything about your own dog, not other peoples in that immediate situation ...so make sure your own dogs obedience training is 'up to date'....so off lead will your dog recall immediately, will your own dog 'leave it' etc if not practice at home where it is safe/secure as if dogs run and bark at him, the practically of your situation and you 'trying to protect your baby' could potentially be unsafe... you drop his lead, he can and WILL protect himself, your priority is your child regardless of how much you love your dog and all you need is good obedience, if he runs/gets out of their way a good recall will bring him back.
I have seen handlers with their dogs on lead 'trying to get them out of the way' using their lead and /or picking up small dogs, screaming/shouting at off lead dog handlers and all of that builds excitement to that type of situation and that can cause dogs to get over stimulated and attack.

You being worried
i keep him on the lead around other dogs unless i know its a dog he gets on well with.
can give him the wrong message, that you are frightened and so his guard will be up as 'mummy is frightened' and that will change his natural behaviour towards dogs.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back