The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Owner of a beautiful Collie Whippet

Tigerfrance

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all,

I have a lovely 2 year old Collie Whippet, female.

Is it normal for a female dog not to eat her food when a male dog comes to stay?

Thanks

She could just be anxious because of the upheaval, and change in 'family' dynamics. How does she get on with the male dog? Do they play, do they seem comfortable and chilled together?

If you feed them together, I'd feed them in separate rooms so she doesn't have to worry that he might try to steal her food.

The answer is "no" and I agree with JudyN's suggestion - dogs easily intimidate others when eating, and it doesn't have to be as obvious as growling or lungeing.

She could just be anxious because of the upheaval, and change in 'family' dynamics. How does she get on with the male dog? Do they play, do they seem comfortable and chilled together?

If you feed them together, I'd feed them in separate rooms so she doesn't have to worry that he might try to steal her food.

The dogs have known each other since they were puppies and go out on walks together at least 2-3 times a week. They are usually comfortable and chilled together and play a lot as well. We look after him when his owners go away and they look after her when we go away so they've spent a lot of time together.

She was on heat around 2 weeks ago now and he is her proposed mate. They were both very keen to mate but we couldn't allow that to happen yet because of personal circumstances and hope it will be when her next season happens.

I am trying to feed her in another room but she shows no interest. I'm sure you're right it's the dynamic change that is upsetting her.

At night he is shut downstairs to sleep and she sleeps in our room with us. I've left her food out then and she will go down and eat a little.

This morning I tried to feed her in another room but she just wanted to come out so I put her food out where he could see her. She ate a tiny bit in front of him then put some of it on the floor and sat back eyeballing him in what seemed like a challenge. If he edged towards her food she would yelp at him and stand up, he would back off. Then she'd do this again. Seems to be a bit of a set-two on dominance.

I'll keep offering her the food in another room and giving her the opportunity each night to eat with him shut away. We have him for 8 more days. I'm hoping as she gets hungrier she will start to eat when I offer it to her on her own.

Bit worrying.

The answer is "no" and I agree with JudyN's suggestion - dogs easily intimidate others when eating, and it doesn't have to be as obvious as growling or lungeing.

Yes, she won't even start hers when they are both given their food at the same time. Is there a demurring to her mate going on?

It does sound like there's some anxiety around the food. Is there any reason why you can't feed her in her usual place, and remove the other dog completely out of view while she eats?

Hormones may well be playing a part, though I've not had a female dog so don't know much about that aspect.

It does sound like there's some anxiety around the food. Is there any reason why you can't feed her in her usual place, and remove the other dog completely out of view while she eats?

Hormones may well be playing a part, though I've not had a female dog so don't know much about that aspect.
I've tried that too. Speckle, that's her name, rarely wolfs down her food as soon as you put it down. She likes to wait and eat it when she wants which poses a few problems with putting her food down and leaving it.

I'm sure she'll settle down. But can't help worrying when your baby isn't eating.

It would appear that Speckle’s juggling with issues that aren’t part of her norm - recently on heat, someone else (albeit not a stranger) apparently now part of her household, her feeding pattern interrupted. She’s also part whippet - from experience with Mabel (our rescue whippet) she’s suspicious of anything new. She’s also part collie - what a combination, brains and speed! Her brain cells are probably working overtime. I’m sure that time and familiarity with current practice will help the situation. Hope it all goes well.

I'm quoting this message (below) because the advice is so sound. If you put yourself in your dog's shoes, so to speak, you'll see that the new circumstances are putting a huge strain on her. Having to defend her space and her food in her own home must be really stressful for her, and the male dog also must be feeling under pressure, judging by his behaviour. It's nothing to do with 'dominance' or any of that outdated nonsense, so put all that out of your mind and ignore any replies that refer to it: that way of thinking is a total dead end, believe me!

I think you need to make some major changes in the way you manage this dog's visits if you are going to continue them. I would be surprised if it is only around food. You say they are chilled together, but also that they play a lot: those two statements are incompatible, and I'd be looking very carefully at the play to see how balanced and non-contact it is. Does he always chase her, for example, or do they swap? Are there pauses and reconciliations? How much physical touching is there, eg barging or mounting, and who does most of that? How does play end? Is it when.you interrupt it, or do they close it down themselves? Any barking, air snapping or nipping? If so, these are signs of play gone wrong.

I'm also slightly curious to know how and why the plans to mate from them came about. Have you and the sire's owners done all the necessary tests eg hip scores, PRA? Border collies in particular are subject to several serious inherited conditions. Are they both particularly good examples of their breed? Good temperaments? Do you have prospective owners for what may be up to 9 or 10 puppies? Funds for the vet if things go wrong? Do you have an experienced person to supervise mating, pregnancy, whelping and post-partum care? Is she your first dog? How experienced is the other owner? Have they mated him before? Is he the best sire for your bitch, or jyst a convenient one?

You may have all these things lined up, in which case please forgive my nosiness, but they are very important considerations for optimum mating and post-mating conditions, if this is not to be another 'back yard breeding' situation, with all the fallout that entails.
It would appear that Speckle’s juggling with issues that aren’t part of her norm - recently on heat, someone else (albeit not a stranger) apparently now part of her household, her feeding pattern interrupted. She’s also part whippet - from experience with Mabel (our rescue whippet) she’s suspicious of anything new. She’s also part collie - what a combination, brains and speed! Her brain cells are probably working overtime. I’m sure that time and familiarity with current practice will help the situation. Hope it all goes well.

Last edited:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back