The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pain relief

Angela04

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone,

Quick question - my dog tried to jump up on to my lap a couple of hours ago and immediately yelped. He didn't even get up off all fours. I was sat on the arm of the chair so it was a higher jump than normal but he literally pushed of his hind legs to jump and it was an immediate fail.

I'm scared to death he's done some major damage like his cruciate knee ligament or something but I can't be sure. He's in his bed feeling very sorry for himself but he is mobile, just not 100%. When he walks, his back left leg seems a little different but not a pronounced limp.

I just wanted to see how he was after a restful evening and obviously if he's no different in the morning, I shall be straight down the vets. In the meantime, can I give him any medicine, like a quarter of a paracetamol just to take the edge off?

I've googled it and it says it can be toxic and I don't want to cause more harm. Just a shame I haven't got any metacam in the cupboard ☹

I'm not a vet but I definitely wouldn't give him any human medication - it can act very differently in different species.

Another thing to bear in mind is that if you take the edge off his pain, he might start leaping around and do himself more damage - if he's in bed feeling sorry for himself, that's probably the best thing for him right now.

It's likely it's just a minor tweak that is nothing to worry about but if he's not significantly better tomorrow a visit to the vet to reassure you is a sensible idea. Let us know how he gets on!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back