The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pancreatitis

prworksnow

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Our 5 year old whippet Fergal has recently recovered from acute pancreatitis, an illness that first showed as lameness, then high temperature, severe weight loss, lassitude and nearly killed him. Thankfully, £2000 later (thank you Animal Friends Insurance) he is back to normal but has to have a low fat diet. We have always fed James Wellbeloved Ocean Fish & Rice but the Vet has put him on Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal Low Fat. This is OK but he poos much more eating this food and is always hungry, exceeding the daily dietary recommendation for his weight (335g) by 100 gs or more plus eating a poached chicken breast a day! It's also not very good at replacing the weight he lost.

Does anyone have any experience of pancreatitis in dogs and a recommendation for a low fat food?

Hope to hear from you.

Christopher

Hi,

My old boy had a boute last December and now has Hills id diet which I assume is much the same as the RC.

They need to have low fat so as not to put any strain on the pancreas, but I aslo give him tinned chappie and this works fine, as its low fat, easy to get a hold of, and inexpensive.

His coat has never been better!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back