The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pedigree Or Not?

das

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

I not sure if it's "done" in breeding circles - but then I'm not a breeder BUT!

I have the chance of buying my first whippet, a KC pedigree male puppy "King **** Of Black"

(KC name)?

The seller says it has pedigree papers (5 generation) but how will I know if they are genuine? I have asked to see the mother, but the breeder is away on holiday. Both the father and mother are at the breeders - breeder unknown to me but not the seller.

What should I look out for when looking at the papers?

How do I check them?

Has anyone on here heard of the KC name " ... of Black"?

It may be something or nothing - but I want to eventually race it with the PWR Club and don't want to be sold a "pup" (pardon the pun).

Any HELP! much appreciated as I am buying soon!

Try looking on The Whippet Archives, there is alot of registered dogs on there from all around the world. There is a booklet that is produced by KC which contains all the pups registered, this is quarterly produced.

Depending on the age of your pup I would expect to see the mother, any pup of 8 weeks or so you should be able to see the mother(other than if the mother passed away during birth, which can happen).

Pedigree papers can be falseified but most for want of a better word 'novices' would not be able to tell.

I have never heard of the of Black affix

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems strange to me that the pups are not with their mother :unsure:

I have heard of litters being passed on to another person for selling (and adding their bit of profit), but this is no more than puppy farming and I despise it :rant:

Having said that, it is about how healthy the pups are and whether they fit the criteria you have personally set for your new pup.

Sounds dodgy to me. I'd wait and get a racing bred puppy. Where abouts are you, and which club are you nearest to?

Do you know the KC names of the parents...it may help...

Thank you for your replies - the pup is 9 weeks old and is being sold by the family who bought it off the breeder, who lives close by to them. The family, with 4 kids, have decided that they cannot give it enough time. The breeder is on holiday at the moment (it is August, after all) so I cannot see the mother or father. I will see the pup in the "flesh" when I go to the seller.

I will dive into the archives!

Thanks again.

Sorry, this all sounds very fishy to me. Go and find yourself a puppy you can see with it's dam, see her registration documents and find out who the sire is, that's what I would do.

Don't buy it because you feel sorry for it, this could be a scam.

Thank you for your replies - the pup is 9 weeks old and is being sold by the family who bought it off the breeder, who lives close by to them. The family, with 4 kids, have decided that they cannot give it enough time. The breeder is on holiday at the moment (it is August, after all) so I cannot see the mother or father. I will see the pup in the "flesh" when I go to the seller.

I will dive into the archives!

Thanks again.
The family should contact the breeder, as they should be having it back & not be rehoming it themselves....any good breeder sells their pups with this proviso.

As Bertha & others have said find yourself a good breeder where you can see a litter of pups with it's mum & select from that.

How very sad that, at 9 weeks of age, this little pup finds itself unwanted :'(

I expect that it is all above board but you really need to wait until you can speak to the breeder and see the mother. The breeder may well be upset that one of the pups is being sold on like this. I know I would be, and I'm not a breeder!

Maybe you could foster the pup until you can sort things out as it sounds as though this pup would be better off away from it's current situation, poor mite.

how sad for the puppy that its being pushed away at 9 weeks. a reputable breeder would take there puppy back if home not suitable, and at such a young age they cant have given the pup much of a chance. lets hope its had its first injections? i would advise you contact the kennel club with the name that will be on the pedigree of the breeder to verify parentage before you consider taking the pup,

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back