The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

People Who Don't Like Dogs

LM1981

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have just been out for a long walk with Mae; we were having a great time and she had been off the lead most of the way round and was being impeccably behaved, I really couldn’t fault her.

We turned a corner and Mae was on a field having a sniff around and for some reason, and I really have no idea why, she decided she was going to run and say hello to a woman walking away from us a little way down the path :blink: . I called Mae and she slowed down but she really had fixated on this person and kept going, she didn’t do anything just excitedly ran up to her but instantly this woman started shouting 'no' at Mae which got her excited and she did jump up twice then ran back to me. The women turned and started yelling at me that ‘if I could not control my dog I should have it on a lead’, I apologised and explained that she was only 11 month and learning but this person got quite aggressive saying that Mae was out of control, me irresponsible and that she didn’t care for dogs and believed they should all be kept on lead.

I am always careful about where I let Mae run off lead, choosing areas with few people and as little distraction as possible, if people with small children are around I put her on the lead or make her sit and wait until they have passed as at only 11 months she can be excitable and jumpy. I do totally understand that not everyone likes dogs and do everything in my power to stop her approaching people but it must be confusing for her as many call her over and want to give her attention because she is very friendly and a little unusual for the area.

This person actually really upset me and knocked my confidence completely as I work really hard to be a responsible dog owner. I know Mae will grow out of it and for 11 months she is excellent in the way she behaves so I am certainly not going to condemn her to life on the end of a rope for making an occasional mistake (sadly they appear not to be popped out of the womb as obedience champions); it was just my first time anyone has reacted in quite this way.

I am sure there must be others who have faced this sort of reaction, what do you say to these people? Also does anyone have any further training tips to stop her jumping up? At the moment I use a lot of tasty treats to call her back to me or keep her by, which works really well 80-90% of the time. :unsure: :unsure:

what do you say to these people? quote

i tell them they need to see a psychiatrist to sort out their pathological over reaction. they can't cope with this because its the truth and if they argue with me i really enjoy it because i used to be a psycho therapist so can deconstruct them psychologically. Its a shame as society gets sicker and more crowded we all meet more of these unfortunate and annoying people.

of course while i am doing this my mixed pack of pit bulls, wolf hybrids and ban dogs are foaming at the mouth and biting at their ankles!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure there must be others who have faced this sort of reaction, what do you say to these people? Also does anyone have any further training tips to stop her jumping up? At the moment I use a lot of tasty treats to call her back to me or keep her by, which works really well 80-90% of the time. :unsure: :unsure:
Sounds to me your doing everything you can and your dog is at the age where they're curious.

I hate to say it, but you'll encounter all kinds on you walks so don't be too hard on yourself and be prepared to stand your ground with the odd nutter.

Yes she's right the dog should be on a lead but if you go walking through the countryside your going to encounter dogs off lead :wacko: The irony is they probably wouldn't say boo to a big bloke with a rottie.

Only thing I would say is avoid letting your dog say hello to everyone that calls them, seen a few dogs stolen this way.

I'm probably going to upset people now but...... just because i love dogs, doesn't mean i necessarily want a strangers dog jumping all over me when i'm out on a walk no matter where i'm walking....admittedly i'd have no objection to a whippet jumping on me but just for example if a strange German Shepherd started jumping up at me whilst out walking, I would be less than amused and would tell its owner to get it under control.

Therefore just because we know our dog is young and immature and learning the ropes, it doesn't mean everyone should accept being jumped on by our dog.

People have phobias and its unsurprising that you get a negative reaction sometimes.....and people do have the right to walk unmolested by other peoples dogs.

As dog owners we are responsible for keeping our hounds under control and if your dog is jumping at a stranger, it isn't under control and therefore you have to take it on the chin if the person complains and yes if they are rude, you have to take that too because unless you have complete control, don't let the dog off where it can get into this sort of situation.

I wouldn't like it if someones child came over and was in my face or an adult shoved past etc so why expect strangers to put up with our dogs, we all have our likes and dislikes...............

I agree with you and don't think it's right that any dog should be running up to strangers. But the owner doesn't think it's acceptable either which is what matters most. She knows her dog is wrong and she's apologised and by all accounts she's trying to be a responsible dog owner. For this reason I don't think the poster should beat themselves up about it.

I've got dogs that think every one in the world is their mate and they get leashed up when I see company approaching but there always will be occasions when the unsuspecting dog walker will encounter an array of situations we're they're unable to exercise control of their dog quickly.

What I'm sort of saying is $**t happens, don't brood over it and persevere. :thumbsup:

Milo is 9 months and, in the main, incredibly well behaved off lead when we are out. In the summer we encountered a man and woman in their 60's with their two grand daughters aged approx 5 and 7 years, bending over and fiddling with one of their bikes. I passed them with my three dogs, Milo and Gracie off lead, and said good morning. Tilly and Gracie carried on walking but Milo stopped and looked at them to see if there was anything interesting going on (the path is only about 6 feet wide so we couldn't exactly give them much room as they were monopolising most of it). Without warning the eldest child let out a piercing scream and started jumping up and down, waving her arms about. Poor old Milo didn't know what to think and stood rooted to the spot, I called him and he returned to me. As we walked away from these rather peculiar people the man muttered an obscenity and told me to keep my flea bags under control. I stopped, turned around and walked back towards him, I think he thought I was going to hit him and looked as though he was about to wet himself! I told the whole sorry bunch exactly what I thought of them and recommended they take the clearly unstable child to get professional help. I didn't once raise my voice or swear but I did whip out my camera and get a shot of them telling them I would remember them for next time. Their faces were a picture and it even managed to stop the loon from screeching.

I refuse to take any nonsense from these cretins and these experiences only reinforce my desire to go and live somewhere remote and peaceful where I don't have to put up with the idiots of this world. The only thing I will miss is meeting like minded dog owners who are, in the main, incredibly nice people. Just remember, it's not you, it's them.

The laws states that your dog must be under controll at all times....what your dog did is not under controll.

If your dogs recall is not spot on then get it on the lead and do more training.

I agree with the person you met out walking...she is in the right not you looking for sympathy.

If you see people comming put a lead on it's polite dont you get that fact.

i have 2 staffs and a lurcher and every time we go down the beach i say to paul..."i wonder how many rows we r gonna have today?"

i know and am fully aware of what people think of staffs so if anyone is around then they go on leads, but what really annoys me and this happens every time, another dog will walk up to us and start barking and running around us making me get all tied up with the leads and paul will ask the person to put their dog on a lead and the reply is allways the same..."hes only playing" well mine aint!!!! and your dog is upsetting all 3 of mine...and so on and so on....it allways ends up with us quoting the law and telling them that their dog is not under control..one time tigger was digging a hole playing by herself when a collie came from nowhere and attacked her the owner was in the sea surfing, paul had to litterally kick the dog off and as the man from atlantis imurged from the sea in his rubber suit screaming dont kick my dog...we said come here and we will kick you instead..lol..he then managed to turn the whole situation around as tigger is a staff...bloody ludicrus!! and why does it seem ok for other dogs to try and hump karma?? but no dont forget "hes only playing" and all this happens when my lot are ON A LEAD. so either way we are stuffed really, i was attacked by a border terrier years ago and im still a bit iffy when i come accross one now so i can understand why people have different measures of disliking dogs jumping at them etc, but even when your dog is on a lead BEWARE cos there is allways someone that will ruin your day!!!

The laws states that your dog must be under controll at all times....what your dog did is not under controll.If your dogs recall is not spot on then get it on the lead and do more training.

I agree with the person you met out walking...she is in the right not you looking for sympathy.

LM981 does get the fact but don't you think there has to be a bit of give and take, live and let live. I loath loud, screeching badly behaved children and would love to seem them muzzled and on leads but the rest of us have to put up with them and their mess - discarded sweet wrappers, dirty nappies left on beaches, aggravating noise, graffiti, foul language. I could go on.......and on. There is a rising and vocal anti dog brigade in this country trying to ban them from just about everywhere and it's about time we stood up for ourselves.

There is a rising and vocal anti dog brigade in this country trying to ban them from just about everywhere and it's about time we stood up for ourselves.

YES THERE IS AND I was being serious when i said their behaviour is pathological, we neeed to deal with such people calmly but we should defend the harmless nature of dogs and question their assumptions that they are in the right.

The title of the thread is people who dont like dogs....I think it's more of a case people who dont like irresponsible dog owner's.

If the dog's are keeped under controll in the first place then there is nothing for jo public to react to....It's not hard to just slip a lead on when walking past other's.

I see it as being polite and respectfull to other's.Not everyone want's other people's dog's jumping up them and rightly so.

The laws states that your dog must be under controll at all times....what your dog did is not under controll.If your dogs recall is not spot on then get it on the lead and do more training.

LM981 does get the fact but don't you think there has to be a bit of give and take, live and let live. I loath loud, screeching badly behaved children and would love to seem them muzzled and on leads but the rest of us have to put up with them and their mess - discarded sweet wrappers, dirty nappies left on beaches, aggravating noise, graffiti, foul language. I could go on.......and on. There is a rising and vocal anti dog brigade in this country trying to ban them from just about everywhere and it's about time we stood up for ourselves.
You would muzzle and use a lead on a child....I think it may be you who need's locking away.

There is a differance between dog's and humans and when people start seeing that fact then we might get somewere.

There is a differance between dog's and humans and when people start seeing that fact then we might get somewere. quote

yes there is but both can be obnoxious and both can be the victims of someone elses psychological problems.

There is a differance between dog's and humans and when people start seeing that fact then we might get somewere. quote
yes there is but both can be obnoxious and both can be the victims of someone elses psychological problems.

Are you trying to tell us all you have psychological problems...get some help then my dear.

:angry: :angry: I used to love this site.Being confined mostly to the house because of illness this year it has been good to come on and see all the gorgeous dogs and learn all about this fantastic breed.Recently however there have been a few members who have really let themselves down(you should know who you are). Some of the posts have been unsavoury and downright bad mannered. You would think reading some of these posts that there authors had never made a mistake or took there eye off the ball ,so self righteous.Hope it gets back to what it was like but alot of these posts are really spoiling my time on here. My aim over the next weeks and months is to get well enough to be able to own my own whippet but until then I have to make do with all the pictures and stories of your beautiful animals so please stop all the nonsense and act like the decent human beings I know you all are. :thumbsup:

People who don't like dogs.. don't like dogs.

All you can do is apologise for your non-compliant Whippet, vow to train harder for a more reliable recall and move on. :b

I completely agree that Mae (and in turn my self) was totally at fault in the situation and if it was something that happened every time we passed another person she would certainly be on the lead at all times however it was out of character. If I get any indication that she is going to do something like this she is on the lead again in an instant but on this day we must have passed a good 30+ people with her showing no interest at all.

People do have phobias (which was not the case according to this person she just didn't like dogs) and it is our responsibility as dog owners to respect that and do everything we can to avoid any undue distress to others, however who can honestly say their dog no matter how well trained has never made a mistake or that you have not taken your eye off the ball for an instant. There is only so much training you can do away from people and unless you actually put them in the situation where they are expected to pass and ignore others they will never learn.

My issue is not with being told when my dog has got it wrong only with the disproportionate reaction some people appear to have and I am asking for genuine advice on how to best deal with these situations.

Hi!

I would like any advice going on how to stop jumping up too!! My girl is 6 months and great in most ways, but still a little over friendly! Her recall skills are intermittant too!! :wacko:

I have to admit I don't dare let her off in public places, I am lucky enough to be able to give her the run of my horse's field when he is not in it. I know she would approach people and jump up if she was off the lead even though I am working hard at recall skills! Being a mother and a horse owner I know how terrifying it is to see any dog I don't know approaching my child or horse. It doesn't mean I don't like dogs, I am just concerned for my child's safety. A loose dog got into the pony's field last year and bit through her back leg. It wasn't a breed you would normally associate with aggressive behaviour. I know it is hard to find places to exercise our wonderful pets off the lead, but I do totally understand and sympathise with people who don't appreciate attention from strange dogs....

:unsure:

One thing I do know for sure is I love whippets!!! (w00t)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back