The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pet insurance problems

rosietjourno

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone,

I'm a journalist investigating problems people have had with pet insurance - particularly when insurers won't pay out - and was just wondering whether anyone on here had experienced this?

Would love to hear from anyone based in the UK who has had either a great or a really bad experience, as well as your views on whether buying pet insurance is worth it.

If anyone is also willing to be named and photographed with their dog(s) for a national newspaper article on this topic please contact me. I don't think I'm allowed to post my email on here but message me and I will be in touch!

Thanks so much in advance,

Rosie

I have had experience of an uninsured dog that cost me £4,000 in vet fees to diagnose and treat a lameness. I then managed to insure her at age 9 with an exclusion clause on the affected leg. She went on to develop several conditions which were all covered by her insurance and would have cost me over £6,000 if I had been able to afford it.

I insured my next dog from day one. She cost the insurance company over £6,000 (the maximum for that policy) as she developed Addisons Disease when she was 2 years old.

My only criticism is that it is hard, for the inexperienced, to sift through the maze and find a proper lifetime policy that renews every year. There needs to be much clearer wording to describe such a policy. I know how to spot a policy that will have a maximum benefit and, so, run out of cover once it is reached. Many people do not know how to spot these policies.

My current dog has a lifetime policy.

It is such a relief, when our dogs are sick, to be able to answer "yes" to any treatment offered by the vet! Alternative treatments like hydrotherapy and acupuncture are also covered by many policies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back