The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pet plan

Jjohnd

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
What do the forum users think of Pet plan?
Is there a better company in your opinion?

I have always used petplan until mine are 10 and then pdsa accident and liability cover ...
Petplan have always paid out direct to my vets with a £75 excess (maybe more now )

I have never in my life ever insured any of my dogs, I got my first dog when I was 17 and I'm 71 in the next few weeks!!
I have never regretted it either.

I’ve never used insurance either - many happy returns, excuseme as and when. However I have bought accident insurance to cover our current whippet because we’re more likely to have a claim due to an accident and the annual premium isn’t extortionate. With a previous whippet we had to pay £1,700 when she snapped a plantar ligament. We’d had her for eight years so, pro rata, it wasn’t too painful (financially) and she made a brilliant recovery. Don’t know if that’s of any help.

We can't decide our where we draw the line before making a claim. Your reply was welcome RGC.

You have to consider would you be able to afford an operation if it was necessary with no insurance at all ....5 years ago our jrt had a spiral fracture to his hind leg ...no operation needed but regular cast changes xrays etc ...final bill was £2,600 our insurance was up to £3,000 per condition. ..i had only been paying for 6 mths ...at £18 per mth ....
The accident /liability insurance from PDSA is £8 per month ....i would always have this if nothing else as i always worry if my dog was to cause an accident of any sort i would be sued personally. .....

Never had insurance either but first dog I had I had a pot which was for a holiday but dog came along so the pot became hers, she only seen a vet 2 times in 8 years so that pot sorted her and my next two dogs throughout, only time I had to dig into my pockets was when my last two was 14 onwards which I thought good, concidering I had two lurchers running amok I Considered myself very lucky

Yet another without vet insurance. We started putting money into a separate account years, (and many dogs), ago. The obvious point to take into account is if you have resources to cover a large bill early on.

I insured until I had six dogs and the premiums were too steep. Now I have money put aside plus a credit card, plus Public Liability cover due to being a member of Dogs Trust.

Something to consider is quality of life prospects after major surgery. Sometimes if we are looking at a vast vet bill, it's worth pausing to think how this will affect the dog afterwards. No two cases are alike, and we need to be sure that we are doing whatever we are doing for them and not for us.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back