The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Petition to ban puppy farms

I have to be honest, i have bought a puppy from a puppy farm before, but i didn't know until i took him home. I will never ever go back and they are really horrible with what they do to the dogs and my boy had dust mites as they were covered in sawdust and also poo and wee was never picked up. All the poor innocent animals had was a red box tipped up on its side, i thought nothing of it until i got home and figured out the reason why they charged so much and had a pet only contract and why was the puppies only 7 weeks old at the time i honestly didn't know as they are so realistic. The story that @Sezzy has linked to is very interesting and it really does show the realities behind the real story that we see as dog owners compared to what goes on 'behind the scenes.' - Three puppies bought from the same pet shop died of parvo within days
@JudyN and @Sezzy how do you sign i cant seem to find anything?

A couple of replies received earlier, no doubt all signatories had them, but posting here for those who are just reading this thread......

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Ban the sale of puppies by pet shops & all commercial 3rd party dealers.”.

Government responded:

The Government has published wide reaching reforms of the controls on pet selling which includes a call for evidence on a ban on all commercial third party sales of puppies and kittens in England.

New controls on dog breeding and pet selling in England require all licensed dog breeders and licensed sellers of all pet animals, including sellers who are not also breeders, to adhere to enhanced strict statutory minimum welfare standards linked to the animals’ welfare needs set out in the Animal Welfare Act 2006.
The controls prohibit the sale of puppies, kittens, ferrets or rabbits below eight weeks of age. This is also supported by changes to Defra’s statutory Dog Welfare Code which provides guidance aimed at dog owners.
The controls require any licensed pet seller advertising pets for sale to include their licence number in the advert as well as identifying the local authority that issued it, a photo of the pet, its age, country of residence and country of origin. This will help people identify pets offered for sale from unlicensed sellers including those based abroad
They require the sale of a dog to be completed in the presence of the purchaser on the premises where the licensed seller or licensed breeder has been keeping the dog, thereby banning online sales by licensed sellers and breeders.
They also ensure licensed dog breeders must show puppies alongside their mother before a sale is made and only sell puppies they have bred themselves.
In addition to these controls, the Government has issued a call for evidence on banning all commercial third party sales of puppies and kittens in England. Evidence has been requested by 2 May 2018.

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

Click this link to view the response online:

Petition: Ban the sale of puppies by pet shops & all commercial 3rd party dealers.

This petition has over 100,000 signatures. The Petitions Committee will consider it for a debate. They can also gather further evidence and press the government for action.

The Committee is made up of 11 MPs, from political parties in government and in opposition. It is entirely independent of the Government. Find out more about the Committee: How petitions work

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

Your chance to contribute to the debate....

You recently signed the petition “Ban the sale of puppies by pet shops & all commercial 3rd party dealers.”:
Petition: Ban the sale of puppies by pet shops & all commercial 3rd party dealers.

The Government is asking for evidence about introducing a ban on third party sales of puppies and kittens in England.

This ban would mean that pet shops, pet dealers and other outlets and licensed sellers of puppies and kittens would be unable to sell these pets unless they themselves have bred them. They want to know:
• whether the ban should be made
• how the ban should apply
• what specific measures might be adopted
• what other issues should be considered

You can find out how to share your views here:

Banning third party sales of pets in England: call for evidence - GOV.UK

The deadline is 11.45pm on 2 May 2018.

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

Thank God the UK finally has a minimum legal-age for sale of pups & kittens! :) . Yay!

I always found it very odd that UK-residents would vociferously object to pediatric desex [ early S/N ] as done by rescues & shelters in the U-S, where we still kill 3 to 5M "surplus" pets every year, nationally...
& the same UK-residents would loudly turn about to defend the rights of UK breeders to sell 6-WO pups & kittens, :confused: which has serious behavioral effects that can last a lifetime - separation from one's dam & siblings when the baby is too young causes all kinds of social problems.

We have decades' worth of studies that prove pediatric desex is safer than S/N at any later age - but ppl get emotional, & don't want to look at facts; instead, they whimper that an 8-WO pup or kitten is "too young!..." to be neutered, & facts be dam*ed. :(
Then why is 42-days-old a perfectly acceptable age to separate a pup or kitten from their mother & littermates, when they've only had ONE WEEK of active play with their siblings & dam?! - we know that kittens who stay with their mum & litter until they're 12-WO are more cat-social for the rest of their hopefully-long lives, & will accept a feline housemate much-more easily over the two decades or so that they may live.
We know that pups who stay with their dam & sibs for a minimum of 8-wks are more dog-social, can both read & offer signals to communicate with other dogs, & are far less-likely to become dog-reactive or dog-aggro with the onset of puberty, compared to pups who were separated between 5 & 7-weeks age, & the younger they are, the more-severe the fallout.

I've always wished that we had a Federal law that covered intrastate sales of kittens & pups, not only inTERstate sales - the USDA mandates that all pups & kittens must be at least 56-DO to travel across state lines without their dam & littermates; all younger infants, the family must travel together, so if one pup is ill, & the needed vet or Tx is over the border, everybody gotta go.
As it stands, about 1 in 4 states have no minimum age for separation - the majority, who have rules, wander between 6-WO & 8-WO, but most are in the 7 or 8-WO range. // Consistency between interstate commerce & intrastate retail would be preferable. :)

- terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back