The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pets4homes

Yoshi

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

me, my fiance and 10 year old daughter have been looking for a rescue dog for 4-5 months now. We have kept an eye on facebook groups and applied for 3 dogs which we weren't successful. Apparently they are getting 1000's of applications.

I have come across pets4homes but I am unsure if to trust the site? I know with rescues they check the dog over, check to see if they are suitable with children etc etc but this wouldn't be the case with pets4homes and you aren't sure who you are buying from.

Can anyone shed some light on the site?

Thank you

It is used a lot by back yard breeders and isn’t a great way to source a dog, barely one step up from Gumtree.

Champdogs has a better reputation, but isn’t so likely to have rescue dogs. Are you finding it’s your 10 year old that’s the barrier (many rescues won’t place dogs when there are children)?

Smaller rescues may be a better bet, but you need to be careful with them too, especially some of the overseas ones who sometimes place semi feral dogs with inexperienced families. Some are even saying the dogs are rescues but they are apparently breeding and importing them so they are basically foreign puppy farms.

Sorry, I really don’t mean to sound discouraging but it really is a minefield.

Are you keen to rescue and if so, what sort of dog are you interested in? Or, are you open to buying from a breeder or from a breed rescue? Can you say roughly what part of the country you are in, perhaps someone here will know of places you can try?

It is used a lot by back yard breeders and isn’t a great way to source a dog, barely one step up from Gumtree.

Champdogs has a better reputation, but isn’t so likely to have rescue dogs. Are you finding it’s your 10 year old that’s the barrier (many rescues won’t place dogs when there are children)?

Smaller rescues may be a better bet, but you need to be careful with them too, especially some of the overseas ones who sometimes place semi feral dogs with inexperienced families. Some are even saying the dogs are rescues but they are apparently breeding and importing them so they are basically foreign puppy farms.

Sorry, I really don’t mean to sound discouraging but it really is a minefield.

Are you keen to rescue and if so, what sort of dog are you interested in? Or, are you open to buying from a breeder or from a breed rescue? Can you say roughly what part of the country you are in, perhaps someone here will know of places you can try?

They aren't giving a reason to why but we do only apply for ones when they mention the dog is ok with children my daughers age (10, so she's not a baby by any means).

We are feeling as if by going to a rescue we would be helping a less fortunate dog live a much better life.

Based near Shrewsbury, Shropshire.

Rescue's also saying (obviously i'm an outsider and can't say 100%) they do a full health check etc as well.

Thanks again :)

Have you tried rescue remedies ...based near gatwick but rehome all over the country ...good luck ...

Don't give up - according to this article, there are lots of dogs being handed over to rescues right now: Rescue me: why Britain’s beautiful lockdown pets are being abandoned It could be worth you going back to one or more of the rescues you've tried and ask why you were turned down. I think some rescues are, or at least were, struggling to get home checks done because of the restrictions.

There is nothing wrong with pets4homes site,,we had our whippet from there.We met the dog breeder at their home and still keep in touch the breeder and other owners from who pups that litter on a WhatsApp group.And I know a few other dog owners who have had their dogs from there,,while chatting out walking with my 2 boys.

There is nothing wrong with pets4homes site,,we had our whippet from there.We met the dog breeder at their home and still keep in touch the breeder and other owners from who pups that litter on a WhatsApp group.And I know a few other dog owners who have had their dogs from there,,while chatting out walking with my 2 boys.
Our experience is quite similar..we've had couple of dogs from P4H site and both came from genuine home breeders and we couldn't done better. BUT while we did do the research...there was awful lot of 'not so genuine' ads as well and some obvious 'puppy farmers'. It can be REALLY difficult to tell the good ones and the 'not so' ones apart, particularly if you are new to buying a pet. Although I don't look to buy another dog, I still do keep eye on the site...just keep my eye on what kind of dogs (of the breed we like) are being advertised and who by. And because of this and having been in contact with them though friend of a friend way...I have become to KNOW some the terrier circle around here and there is some genuine breeders that do look after their dogs...though admitedly the most sort after dogs are not advertised there and those go by the word of mouth (when ever they come available).

We had a similarly great experience with P4H as did Ross and Finsky. We visited with both mother and father in the home of the breeder and we have kept in touch and will continue to do so. The important thing is that you must be responsible and actually assess the situation carefully. For us it was easy because the breeder was a true whippet lover. This was the second and last litter and both dog parents have now been neutered. You simply could not have dogs with better temperament.

I must add when we visited the whippet breeder we also met Finn’s (Finn The Whippet) Mother,Father and Finn's Gran & Great gran On his mother's side.We had pictures and videos nearly every day via WhatsApp.to keep us update with Finn's Progress before we picked him up.

Last edited:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back