The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pitt Bull Terrier

em21

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Do people often get mixed up with pitt bull terriers, english bull terriers and staffordshire bull terriers??

I heard a rumour that a girl who lives opposite me has just got a puppy that is three quaters pitt bull... these are the ones that have been banned aren't they??

I have nothing against any breed of dog as it is usually the owners to blame. I have seen a picture of the pup and it's hard to tell it could well be part staffy? However I googled "pitt bull" and alot of pics of what I thought was an english bull terrier came up (the ones with the funny shaped head, almost horse like)??

:blink: I'm all confused now.... Doesn't take much :lol:

Em xxx

you've confused me now Em :- " (w00t)

just seen this Em............

Pit Bull is a term commonly used to describe several breeds of dog in the Molosser family that were historically used for dog fighting. The breeds most often placed in this category are the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier and Staffordshire Bull Terrier

:thumbsup: learn something new every day

hely said:
just seen this Em............
Pit Bull is a term commonly used to describe several breeds of dog in the Molosser family that were historically used for dog fighting. The breeds most often placed in this category are the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier and Staffordshire Bull Terrier

:thumbsup: learn something new every day

:oops: Think I confused myself too :lol:

So is it the American pitt bull that was banned?

As far as I know, all pit bulls and pit bull crosses are banned so the police have the power to seize and destroy any dogs which fit this description. I suppose that if the girl who lives near you knows how to train her dog properly then she may well get away with owning it - unless someone reports her of course. Obviously if the dog proves to be a nuisance/aggressive then she may have it taken off her.

I think a lot of people think that EBTs are pit bulls as I have heard that a lot of owners of this breed get (unwarranted) abuse hurled at them from people who think they are pit bulls. I suppose a lot of people think staffies are pit bulls too. I think if the dog is seized the owner has a ceratin amount of time to prove that it is not a pit bull. I know of a lady on another forum who had her staffie seized as someone phoned the police saying it was a pit bull. It was proved that it wasn't and she got her dog back :)

What a load of waffle I've just typed :lol:

jezza said:
As far as I know, all pit bulls and pit bull crosses are banned so the police have the power to seize and destroy any dogs which fit this description. I suppose that if the girl who lives near you knows how to train her dog properly then she may well get away with owning it - unless someone reports her of course. Obviously if the dog proves to be a nuisance/aggressive then she may have it taken off her.
I think a lot of people think that EBTs are pit bulls as I have heard that a lot of owners of this breed get (unwarranted) abuse hurled at them from people who think they are pit bulls. I suppose a lot of people think staffies are pit bulls too. I think if the dog is seized the owner has a ceratin amount of time to prove that it is not a pit bull. I know of a lady on another forum who had her staffie seized as someone phoned the police saying it was a pit bull. It was proved that it wasn't and she got her dog back  :)

What a load of waffle I've just typed  :lol:

:lol: Don't be daft, you've been very helpful :thumbsup:

Well I won't be reporting anyone... unless i'm given reason to but that would go for any breed of dog not just ones with a "reputation"

Em x

the pitbull is a banned dog so is the crosses with pit in them.The whole thing is confusing,a friend of mine has just bought an american pitbull terrier off a web site.I thought he was pulling my leg so i went to see his pup as i have owned a pitbull myself long time ago now,before the law changed.Sure as my eyes could see it was infact an american pitbull.He has had his pup injected with no problems at the local vets.I am not one to stick up for the pit as i know the good sides and the bad.If you cross an english bully with a staff it is classed as a pit type.But cross a pit with a staff you have a pitbull terrier,only to some people it isnt.I dont think anyone really knows what a pitbull terrier is,i hope this girl realises what she has got,in the wrong hands they are dangerous,but we can say that about any dog,i do wish her luck.

funny this post should pop up again..............a bloke in our local park has just had a pitt bull cross taken off him........he wasnt a happy chappie, the police where called and alsorts........someone reported him, it attacked their dog :blink: it was running riot in the park off lead :angry:

In answer to your original question - having owned an SBT in the past and admiring EBT's I find them very easy to distinguish between them and Pit Bulls.

Pit Bulls are on the whole much much larger - pedigree SBT's are only about 16" tts.

a pit bull terrier

breed_american_pit_bull_terrier.jpg

a staffie :wub:

stbult.jpg

on the whole a pit bull type will have a larger squarer muzzle and be considerable bigger but it can be very difficult to distinguish the 2 hope that helps a bit?

an english bull terrier

A02350EnglishBullTerrier.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
affieluver said:
a pit bull terrier

stbult.jpg

on the whole a pit bull type will have a larger squarer muzzle and be considerable bigger but it can be very difficult to distinguish the 2 hope that helps a bit?

an english bull terrier

jane bone said:
the pitbull is a banned dog so is the crosses with pit in them.The whole thing is confusing,a friend of mine has just bought an american pitbull terrier off a web site.I thought he was pulling my leg so i went to see his pup as i have owned a pitbull myself long time ago now,before the law changed.Sure as my eyes could see it was infact an american pitbull.He has had his pup injected with no problems at the local vets.I am not one to stick up for the pit as i know the good sides and the bad.If you cross an english bully with a staff it is classed as a pit type.But cross a pit with a staff you have a pitbull terrier,only to some people it isnt.I dont think anyone really knows what a pitbull terrier is,i hope this girl realises what she has got,in the wrong hands they are dangerous,but we can say that about any dog,i do wish her luck.
Well like I said before I dont want to be judgemental.... but this girl was walking up the street the other day, next to a road with her pup....... no lead........... and no bloody collar!!!!!!! :rant: I could of screamed her!!! Also their friend who has a staffie (I think its a staffy, much smaller) apparently attacked another dog in town this week the owner apologised, laughed and then kicked his little starry :( This is what a friend told me anyway. I have no problems with these dogs, my gran has a staffy and she is thee most lovely dog but like you said... in the wrong hands is not good and I have a feeling that these dogs are in the wrong hands :(

Emma xxx

affieluver said:
:oops:
affieluver said:
affieluver said:
a pit bull terrier

stbult.jpg

an english bull terrier

:oops: seemed to have posted twice for some reason :unsure:
Thanks for those pics.... I think there is either alot of large staffies round here... or staffie x or pits, most of the staffs round here are huge!! Well i thought they were staffs lol

Emma xxx

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back