The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Please help, my dog had a stroke last night

Juliatee

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My elderly spaniel bitch had what now turns out to be a stroke last night. To cut a long story short she went to the vet last night and diagnosed a severely arthritic hip and treated with a morphine based painkiller and metacalm jab. This morning her lack of coordinatin was worse and her head tilts to one side and nystagmus in her eyes. Very restless and dribbling a lot and refusing to eat and drink. Back to another vet who diagnosed the stroke, gave her an anti emetic. We discussed euthanasia but she was adamant her chances of recovery is quite good and to give her a chance.

Although she is drinking now she is refusing to eat- I can understand that she is feeling sick and giddy because of the nystagmus.

Anybody had experience of this and what I should expect and do. It is awful to see her so lost and confused.

Thanks

Juliatee

Many years ago we had a middle aged girl (working cocker spaniel type) who had a stroke, I remember she held her head badly on one side and was walking to one side. I do not remember what her medication was but with lots of patience and corrective exercises she recovered almost completely, so much in fact that she resumed her place in the beating line. I do not remember how long recovery took, this was all such a long time ago. I do remember though that for the remainder of her life there was always a slight tilt of her head, but she was absolutely fine!

Really grateful for your reply. Nothing much has changed since my first post other than she is drinking (albeit out of the garden pond to which she insists on drinking from, always has,never drinks in the house!) and eating mostly incredibly expensive special stuff from the vet.., if she won't eat anything else at least she is getting all the right nutrients. It is distressing going for both of us but your reply makes me feel more positive for which many thanks.

Did it ever happen again?

Regards,

Juliatee

No never happened again.

Ask your ver for usefull exercises for your girl to help her ballance and co ordination again.

However with regards to food I have fed raw to my girls for many years. ( i am not saying this affected her recovery in any way though! ) they just always eat it so well.

Best wishes

I had a collie cross lab who unfortunately suffered from mini strokes, every time she had one she did not want to eat, but did drink,

whether the strokes caused a lack of proper use of her mouth or not I can't say, but eventually she did eat as her co-ordination returned.

I used to help her up on her back legs, then gently give her slight pushes on her rear end to get her legs moving,,, once moving she seemed to get momentum and struggle along, but I thought the quicker she gets her co-ordination the quicker she gets over the stroke.

She had strokes aproximately every couple of months over a 3 year period, each time she did eventually gain mobility again.

Obviously each case is different and the level of the particular stroke is different, your vet says she has a good chance, give your dog that chance.

Hopefully with a lot of love, good treatment and a low cholestorol diet you will be together for many years to come.

Please keep us informed

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back