The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Please help urgently my boy is sick

Bruno's mom

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi All,

I have a wonderful choccy lab called Bruno.  He is 10 years old and although he has had hip dysplasia he has been a healthy dog.  He is though over weight as he steals food :-/

Last night his back legs just went.  This has never happened before and he could not stand and just lay down.  I stayed with him all night hoping he would improve.  This morning I thought this is not an injury so took him to the vets.  They said he has arthritis in his joints and his muscles in back legs are wasting away.  She suggested putting him to sleep.  I could not do it as he is fine in himself and wagging his tail etc.  She agreed to give him a chance and gave him morphine and a anti inflammatory injections.  Strangely enough he came home and could walk although wobbly.  I have tablets to give him to see how it goes.  

My concern now is he is panting heavy and whimpering although I have just managed to get him to sleep.  Im really scared.  Can anyone help.

Sadly to say it sounds as if you have a decision to make.

Should you keep him going just a little bit longer with pain killers and as  you say he sounds very uncomfortable  and unhappy.

Or should you let him go before his discomfort gets very much worse. (your vet has given her honest and knowledgeable  opinion).

I think if he was mine that I would want him to go without too much discomfort an some dignity.

Let him go to sleep peacefully and painlessly. I'm sure he knows that you love him and I am sure that letting him go will be the kindest thing for him.

Best wishes. 

Thank you excuseme. 

The problem was this morning when it first happened he wasn't in pain in fact he was eating wagging tail and my normal Bruno just with 2 back legs that stopped working. Hence my reluctance to say goodbye and need for an option to make him better.

Now is a different story. He's been whimpering for hours and it appears he is now in pain. If he was like this when I took him the vets no matter how hard it would have been for me I would have said goodbye.

It's breaking my heart now so I know when the vets are open in the morning and he is still in pain my love for him means I have to let him go. My heart aches with pain but I can't see my boy who has comforted me through good and bad time in pain.

Thank you so much for your supporting.

Gina (bruno's mommy) xx

Hugs and thoughts for you both.  XX

I'm far from experienced or qualified to respond to this, but how did they diagnose arthritis?  Was he scanned/x-rayed?  Is surgery an option - both medically and financially?  I'm so sorry to read about the problems Bruno has and I hope that something can be done to get him at least some way back to how he was.

Bruno update....

He's stop whining and now slowly walks. We ate taking it easy with him but seems happy and content. Fingers crossed. Xx

That's fantastic, keep up the good work.

Thank you for the good news update.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the update, I'm really happy he's happy.  Please keep us posted.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back