The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Poor Alfie !!!!!!!!!

pippywhippet

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Poor Alfie had to have surgery today to remove a large blackthorn that had entered his nostril and pierced his eye :eek:

He has damage to his cornea, but the lens hopefully is ok- though he may need more surgey yet to remove the lens if it is damaged, or could even lose his eye if the inflammation doesnt subside. :( Poor Alfie, he is very sorry for himself and has been so brave..........

He is sleeping off the anaesthetic just now -_- Poor Alfie, he has such gorgeous eyes, too :wub:

I had a whippet once who punctured her eye with a blackthorn. The fluid ran out of her eye and it collapsed. She had her 3rd eyelid stitched across for about 10 days, and when the stitches came out the eye was slightly smaller, but eventually the pressure built up again, and she was good as new. Good luck with your little lad :huggles:

Poor boy, that sounds horrible, good luck that it all heals well

Poor Boy :( Hope it is succesful and he recovers well

:eek: Ouch! that sounds really painfull, poor thing. :luck: Hope everything goes well for him. :luck:

Oh poor Alfie, and poor you, what a nightmare, you must be so worried about him. Bl**dy blackthorns, I hate them, our local hedges are half blackthorn at least. But once the thorn is out the inflammation should subside pretty quickly. Be well Alfie.

Annie

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Paula, what a terrible thing to happen to poor little Alfie :(

We are sending all the luck and love we can muster for him and keeping our fingers and paws crossed for a good outcome :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Irie sends lots of licks and whippie kisses for his cousin xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Poor Alfie, what a nasty thing to happen. Hope all goes well and the eye heals properly. There is so much Blackthorn down here, we've had eyes damaged well so know what it is like.

:wub:

Get better soon Alfie. (Aren't some of these whippies in the wars recently.)

:luck: :luck: :luck:

Ouch!!!! Poor Alfie that sounds seriously painful :( Hope he is on the mend real soon and hoping there is no long lasting damage to his eye :luck: :luck: :luck: :huggles:

bless him heres hoping he feels well again soon xx :) :huggles:

Poor Alfie, hope he recovers well really soon :huggles: :huggles:

omg, poor boy, that sounds really freaky and nasty.

Hope he does as well as June's dog

sending him lots of love XXXXXXX

Oh my goodness that sounds just horrible.

Poor Alfie - hope he isn't feeling too sorry for himself and that he is back to his normal self in no time.

Thankyou all for your messages- Alfie seems much more comfortable today, although the eye still has a strange appearance and a dilate pupil. We will have to wait and see over the next few days if he has lost much sight.

We got referred to a lovely vet in Tavistock who performed the surgey- Westmoor. Thanks to them for helping Alfie :)

Bless :wub:

I hope all is well and that he makes a full recovery. :luck: :luck: :luck:

I know Mr Warren at Westmoor Vets in Tavistock ........... he is a very skilled eye surgeon so Alfie has had the best he could get :D

My neighbour's westie had a weepy eye a couple of weeks ago. After a few days she took her to the vet and she was referred immediately to Mr Warren. He operated there and then because something had pierced her eye and had set up an infection which was about to burst her eye open!!!! The eye actually ruptured whilst she was on the operating table. Thank goodness my neighbour got her to the vet when she did - there were hardly any symptoms, just a bit of weepiness and we all see that in our dogs from time to time and generally speaking we just bathe it and keep a watch on it, so she was very lucky indeed.

Annie, the westie, has recovered 100% even though there was a possibility of losing some or all of the vision in that eye :thumbsup:

Keeping my fingers crossed for Alfie :luck: :luck: xx

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back