The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Poorly dog

Sally33

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi everyone
As a first time dog owner I would really appreciate some advice.
While out on an organised walk today my dog was sick twice ( at beginning), he then charged around as normal so we carried on with the walk.
Back home he had a bath as was covered in mud and I dried him and he seemed OK, but instead of falling asleep, as normal after a walk he seemed restless, he then started intermittent trembling and was sick again. At this point I made an appointment to see vet. Shortly after trembling stopped and he seemed OK so cancelled vet appointment. The thing is now he's just dosing on and off. And not himself. Is this to be expected after vomiting? Also do I feed him anything tonight, ( chicken and rice?)or wait till the morning. Many thanks in advance.

Hi @Sally33 and welcome to the forum.

Aw the poor chap :-( so he was sick before he started charging around? Is he a dog that is likely to eat anything in sight? What breed is he?

I personally would give him 24 hours before taking him to the vets as he may just have an upset stomach. Only if he doesn’t start being sick again, if he’s continually sick then this may be something serious.

Maybe only try him on abit if rice and chicken if he asks for food?

* I’m not a vet or vet nurse. I’m just basing this on what I would do in your situation with my own dog *

On a side note, sometimes Dennis will just randomly be sick in the middle of the night. It’s the strangest thing! I can hear him get up and go downstairs and I instantly know he’s going to do it. If I don’t catch him in time he will be sick down every hidden spot he can find (between sofa and wall, under the dining table etc) then he wakes up absolutely normal in the morning!

Something bland like chicken & rice would be good if he wants it. It's often suggested you should starve a dog with a tummy upset but I'm not a fan of that, purely because my dog would have a nervous breakdown if I didn't feed him... If he's just dozy/off his food/vomiting occasionally I'd wait and see how he is tomorrow. Again, I'm not an expert.

Thanks for your advice. He's a cockerpoo and fortunately not a scavenger. It's very unusual for him to vomit. He's still off colour and hasn't shown any interest in food, but has had water so will probably feed him tomorrow now ( chicken and rice as suggested, thanks JudyN ). Fingers crossed he'll wake up tomorrow fine. Thanks again

Please keep us posted on how he is tomorrow @Sally33

Welcome to the forum, lots of good advise here as you can see. Sorry to hear about your dog. I've nothing to add - other than my welcome - other to say observation and then a vet's appointment if necessary. Let us know how it goes.

Hi there
Our poor little chap became really listless last night so ended up taking him to emergency vet. After a thorough exam vet thought that it was gastritis, and advised giving a restricted diet today of chicken and rice given over 4 small meals which we have. He's peed regularly and had a poo ( too much info?) so that's all good. He's still not himself, which we're hoping is down to needing a decent meal. Heres hoping he wakes up tomorrow his old self .

Hi Sally
As a general rule of thumb as to when to go to the vet, I think when would I have taken my kids to the GP when they were little? If they were sick a few times over 48 hours but kept water down, I presume its a bug to get over, eat bland food (rice and chicken, same as the dog!) and keep warm. After that its time for the medical experts ... same with dogs.
Other poorly food for dogs is scambled eggs and rice for the runs, and again how long would I go without seeing a doctor?
If they are off their food warm it up a bit too (not too hot - like you would for a baby)
Also I use Sudocrem for minor cuts or skin abrasions
Its easy to worry and take your dog to the vets for every illness and ache and pain, and the vets will happily take your money for it. Something serious and its usually fairly obvious that it cant wait a day or two to see if it wont get better on its own.

Aw hopefully he’s on the mend now @Sally33 - he’s probably counting down the hours till he gets a proper meal again!

Thankyou for updating us :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back