The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Poorly dog.

Stamford

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
It’s currently 4.30am and I’m sat on edge of bed having been awake an hour with my elderly dog. She woke me again wretching on our bedroom carpet. No vomit this time as she’s on anti sickness pills. She’s lost loads of weight. The vet has just scoped down in to her stomach and ultra sounded her stomach too. She’s just pawed her water bowl and tipped another bowl of water into the carpet. Now I’ve got into the spare bed with her and she’s lying on the bed and her stomach is making the weirdest of squeaking noises. She’s really not well. She is weeping everywhere too. This past week she seems to have become incontinent. She’s eating. She’s drinking. She wanders around relentlessly. She seems so very unsettled all the time. She’s also coughing a lot too. The vet can’t find anything wrong with her but she’s just gone so thin. I just know there’s something wrong with her but I just don’t know what t to do. I have a husband with depression and child with covid right now. I’ve just had an operation too. I’m at the end of my rope with it all. I adore my little fur girl. But when do you know it’s time to have that talk with the vet? How do you know when to let go? I don’t want to see her suffer. But I’m lost. I just don’t know what to do.

I'd recommend a second opinion. I'm sorry you are having so many other difficulties just now - it really doesn't help when life dumps everything on you at once. You can ask for a second opinion at your usual surgery (most vets would have suggested it in any case) or just go to another practice.

All the best.

Reactions: RGC
I sort of feel like this vet hasn’t a clue as nothing is springing out as obvious. I think there’s something wrong with her central nervous system. It’s almost 1am and we are up with her running around like someone crazy. Shaking her head. Going in and out of rooms. She has a wild look about her in her eyes. Every night there’s something. I’m just so very tired. I don’t know how to help her. It’s tragic really.she’s also just peed on the bed so I’m stripping covers off now. It’s smelly.

I think you have to really decide if she still has a good quality of life....its a really hard decision but it sounds as if you are both pretty miserable....xxxxhugs to you

I think you have to really decide if she still has a good quality of life....its a really hard decision but it sounds as if you are both pretty miserable....xxxxhugs to you
Well, shes happy enough during the daytime really, she sleeps quite a lot, but shes old, she doesn't seem to be in any pain. Het tail wags most of the time, shes eating, although a little less. Its just the night time, she goes off on a different scale, almost something different every night. Yes she has lost weight, but the vet cant find anything wrong with her. He put her on steroids to make her more hungry to gain some weight but she was almost manic on them, running around, wild eyed and ravenous ! so we took her off and shes calmer. I guess I have to just take it day by day and see how she goes. Shes not seriously ill, just not her normal self.

This does sound typical for dementia. If you've tried all the medications, supplements, etc. that the vet, and members here have suggested, then sadly it's just a case of deciding when her bad times outweigh the good. Believe me, I know how hard it is.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back