The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Possible illness help!

EB95

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has ever had a dog in a similar situation or could offer some help and advice. We think my dog had a reaction to a bee sting. He was out side and all of a sudden was severely sick and started limping whilst not liking ya touch his paw. We have looked and can’t see anything stuck in his paw however as he is black and very fluffy it’s quite hard to tell. This was on Wednesday and since then he keeps going into downward dog position and limping slightly. He still has his apatite and barks at people approaching house as normal, jumps up onto the sofa and bed but just doesn’t seem all himself. Is there a home remedy I could try before taking him to the vets or shall I go down the vet root straight away?
Thank you!

I'd have gone to the vet Wed nite; localized pain & limping can be caused by any of a host of issues, & the sooner some are ruled out, the quicker U know what it ISN'T, which is partway to what it might be.
Even now, I'd go ASAP. // Hopefully it's simple & on the way to resolving - but anytime U suspect a sting, U should either see the vet immediately, or give VET PRE-APPROVED antihistamine on the spot, as directed by the vet per dosage, route, & so on.

- terry

If you don't know it's a bee sting, and you can't properly see it, it's not really practical to suggest any home remedy. Him being sick immediately makes me wonder if it was a sort of pain shock reaction rather than anaphylactic, for which I am guessing you would have perhaps seen longer lasting signs (does anyone else know more about this?).

But if he isn't himself after several days I would definitely be taking him to the vet.

I don't know much about anaphylactic reactions but Dennis had a bad one once (we have no idea what caused it) and his whole face swelled up. He couldn't even see out of his eyes :( typically it was a Saturday night but mum spoke to a vet and they recommended him human antihistamines. He was very drowsy for a few days but it worked.

This was only recommended on a veterinary opinion and the correct dosage.

If it was a bee sting or anaphylactic reaction would there be swelling?

Hi everyone. Thank you all for your messages. I took Archie to the vets first thing this morning. Archie has had a lot of different vets with lots of different opinions on his back legs. First hip dyplasia, then luxating patella and finally (thanks to a bee sting- confirmed) we have a proper diagnosis. It looks like he was stung by a bee and were he flinch and jumped it caused trauma to his leg. He has a chronic rupture of his rear back leg ligament. The trama has caused it to swell up again and that is why he has a small limp. Vet was happy that he is a heathly dog otherwise and with antiimflamerty he should recover well. He isn’t in pain unless it swells again and We just need to be careful and monitor it for future. Thanks again! X

Thank you for updating us! I'm glad he's ok (although a little sore maybe) :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back