The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Possible side effects of nisamox

swackerthechef

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi i noticed my dog had a cut on her shoulder on Friday night so managed to get an appointment the next morning at the vets, the vets prescibed nisamox to me to take twice a day. Is there any side effects shes acting strange and was thinking it might be because of the tablets i noticed:

• sleeping alot
  • appetite has gone shes not eaten since this morning :(
  • vacant (she just curls up and sulks)
  • not AS interested in walking
the wound is healing up but im worried about her.

thanks. suzy

Am I right in thinking that Nisamox is an antibiotic? If so then those side effects would be unusual. Antibiotics give dogs an upset tummy if they are going to have any side effects. Nothing is impossible with drugs though.

Do you know how she got the cut on her shoulder? If it was a traumatic injury then is she stiff and sore because of it? This would produce the behaviour you describe. It could also be that, despite the Nisamox, she has an infection of some sort.

Best course of action might be to re visit the vet. She might need a change of antibiotic or some pain relief or both.

thanks for the reply gyspymum2. That is correct Nisamox is an antibiotic, were unaware how she got the cut on her shoulder but molly does have cysts that have been checked by the vet and come back negative but they said if its not healing with antibiotics the cyst might have popped so she would have to cut it off. no signs of stiffness shes just sleeping a lot and looking for attention which is a bit unusual (we give her lots of attention but shes wanting even more).

many thanks again

It does sound as though she does not feel well doesn't it? The tablets may not be agreeing with her. Worth a call to the vet to ask if it is anything to worry about. They do not charge for telephone advice :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back