The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Potential dog owner - why do dogs need a back garden?

Scribbled28

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello there

Right before you all scream in horror at me please hear me out.

So me and my fella are young professionals. I am a self-confessed animal nut; always have been always will. Naturally, I have been doing a hell of a lot of research on the ideal pet to have in our situation. We would like a pet but the only one we are both really keen on is a dog. I personally have been called 'a dog person without a dog' by several friends, due to my love for them but alas the more I research dogs the more I get disheartened. You see being young professionals working 9-5 brings up the controversial should a dog be left home alone for more than 3-5hrs discussion that is commonly talked about on the Internet. But this post isn't about that. Asides from working full-time, we actually like the lifestyle of living in an apartment (it's cheaper to heat, it's more convenient for shopping and for getting to work and it's argues oh a greener lifestyle). Of course, this inevitably rules out most (if not all) dogs that are bigger than a dinner plate. But the reason why has got me stumped.

Now, with all due respect, I don't want people to get the wrong impression here and say "get a cat". I have not started this thread asking whether I can get a dog in my situation and what dog I should get. I have done so many hours of research on this subject that, although it pains me to say it, the answer to that question is probably "no. Dogs will not suit your lifestyle" but I just wondered why In my research for dogs suited to apartment life only small dogs seem to be suitable.

In my experience, small dogs tend to be louder but need less exercise and large dogs are quieter but need more exercise (very boardly speaking). In this sense, no dog is suited to flats. The only reason I can think of that dog breeds choices are cut down so dramatically is the lack of a garden. But that got me thinking: why it is recommended that dogs need a back garden, really? I assume it is because of exercise but all the dogs I've known do very little exercise in their garden spaces. Most use it for toileting and maybe a bit of a sniff but what is the difference between that and a dog that lives in a flat but has a good daily romp in the park? Surely they would get more exercise that way? Is it just the fact that we have grown accustomed to dogs toileting outside and therefore must have a garden and going outside to toilet while living in a second floor flat is a big ask? If that is the case why is it ok for a cat to go inside in a litter tray and not ok for a dog to do the same? Or is it just that flats *supposedly* have less space for a big dog to move around and therefore would knock everything over with their tails etc? Again, I have sat in a 3bed house where the dog wasn't allowed upstairs and had a living room with less space than my current flat so this seems a bit of a sweeping assumption that isn't quite watertight either.

Just food for thought? I was just interested on the opinions of people more experienced than me. Maybe there is something I missed in dogs' needs that is blindingly obvious to dogs owners that I can't see. I was just interested whether the reason why dogs need a back garden is tradition or whether there is a real reason that I've just missed.

Anyway. Hope this will spark an interesting discussion. Happy trails!

~Scribbled. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My view is that your and your partners attitude is the most important thing. When we first got married my wife and I knew we wanted, (no needed), a dog. We found a Shetland sheepdog that needed a home, and although we were living in a flat at the time took her in. Obviously it meant getting dressed and taking her out first thing in the morning but for us that wasn't a problem., and she lived a happy life with us. Now on to breed, I think your choice is a lot wider than you say. For example most sight hounds, from IG's up to Wolfhounds can easily fit into a flat. also many others that wouldn't be thought of can be ok provided you both put the time and effort in to them, for example I know a lady that has two Border Collies and lives in a static caravan. Her dogs are a lot more settled then many BC's I have come across but she does spend a lot of time training them, taking part in both obedience and agility, so her dogs are stimulated. I will respect your wishes and not comment on leaving dogs on their own

Genuinely impressed at your openness and the time you've sensibly taken to read up and research. Seriously. It's amazing how many people don't bother with so much as a quick “Google” before making a decision and it drives me nuts.

Agree with your thought process though and the reply from Biker John on this in that back gardens don't necessarily mean safe, sensible or fair dog ownership at all.

I don't have a secure back garden and live smack bang in the middle of farmland and open countryside with a seven year old springer spaniel and an eight month old border collie. Our house backs straight out fields and then a river so for that reason; we would not be considered suitable for re-homing any dog via rescue centres / shelters. Thing is because of the lack in security; we don't just open the door to let the dogs roam around aimlessly in the garden without any more thought or effort. Whenever the dogs need a pee they're taken out – not just shut outside in the garden – taken out and walked with full supervision / lots of playing / swimming and enjoying themselves.

They're happier, healthier, very well-trained and get far more exercise and time spent on them which means they're happy sleeping it off at home when we do need to go out so again; the garden situation means little taking into account the bigger picture. Similar thing applies with us walking the dogs off leash and getting looks of horror and disgust from other dog walkers purely because they have this idea that all dogs should be on a lead. That their dog is the one on his hind legs snarling and almost foaming at the mouth trying to get at ours (both sat perfectly still waiting for me to tell them they're good to walk on as well interestingly enough) is something they don't quite see but there you go. That's logic and reason for you.

This website is a good starting point and I've copied the link for the breeds with relatively low exercise needs. As and when you do find something you like the idea of – read up and research and then some. You'd be surprised how many people I've had to talk out of getting a border collie puppy because they've seen ours and / or watched Britain's Got Talent and liked the collies on there?!

You'll always get those taking issue with whatever you do and however you do it but I get the feeling whatever you get will be well looked after, happy and better cared for than most. Enjoy! :)

htttp://www.dogbreedinfo.com/exerciselow.htm

Aww. Parly! You've made me smile. But Yes I have wanted a dog for years and I too find it annoying when people around me just appear with a dog and clearly have put no thought into whether they have the time, money, space, or patience that is needed when keeping a dog. Kind of frustrating when you despirately want one but your better judgement says 'in the future but not quite yet.'

Oh god! I just screamed internally at all those poor boarder collies that will be given up because someone watched BGT and said "I want a tight-rope walking dog!" Then the dog got extremely bored at home because they didn't exercise the snot out of it before they left it at home for the day. But thank you both for the advice and the link. It is much appreciated. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a few people say to me they were thinking of getting a collie puppy because ours was just this round ball of fluff and looked all cute and - NOPE.

"Don't get one of these dogs whatever you do. You're asking me if they're a good puppy which means you must not to get one of these until you really know what they are. You have NO IDEA about the ludicrousness you're bringing into your home!!"

Now I get people taking a shine because she does a fair few tricks which she's learned since being 8 weeks old. Keep explaining there are lot of hours and frustration behind those tricks. "The thing where she puts her toys away in the box when asked? Hours and hours of pointing and picking up balls, giving her the cue to put them back - no no not there Puddi. No pick the ball up. That ball there. Tennis ball... get your tennis ball. Good. OK now tidy away in the - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

She does take out the cardboard and bottles for recycling though which is helpful to be honest but it's been an absolute casserole of nonsense in this house since her arrival and I love it :huggles:

Puddi cake box.jpg

Casserole of nonsense! Ha ha ha I nearly wet myself. Will be stealing that one and using it frequently!!!!

Sorry should have also responded a bit to the post. Read my rant literally grrr. If you then feel defiant dont do it! If it inspires you to try and work really hard at it go for it!

Back Garden is just like a good place to live for a dog. They often enjoy playing there, running, following a ball, their own territory! ;)

I think with all things a little bit of common sense goes a long way. Look at the needs of the dog and your lifestyle.

If you live in a small flat, no garden and work a lot leaving the dog alone then dont get a mastiff/husky/collie etc. seems like you have a sensible heads on your shoulders so think it through, if you get a dog be willing to put the time in for exercise and toilet stops as they will need more if left alone or in a confined space all day. A garden is a great space for a dog but not a deal breaker.

Be willing to put the work in and you should't have issues.

Did I detect that you thought that a dog could be litter trained? The answer would be no. Cats like to bury their toilets, dogs like theirs to be on display so will go all over the place.

As to breed - I once heard the manager of Manchester Dogs Home say, on the radio, that he had homed a Great Dane to a flat. The people were retired and took the dog out about seven times a day.

If you found a breed that can cope with being left (some retired greyhounds are great for this) then, as long as you take the dog out first thing for toileting, and exercise after work, with another late night toilet walk then it could work. You would need to choose the dog very carefully. Mature dogs that have lived in a working household but are up for rehoming (divorce is a common cause) might suit you. There is also the possibility of hiring a dog walker for a midday walk.

I have worked full time and kept dogs in the past. Yes we got lots of teething problems with the dog chewing things from boredom, frustration at not being taken with us, over bonding. We persevered and worked around these issues because, like you, we are dog lovers.

If you do get a dog then please think about having a consultation with a behaviourist who can help guide you through coping with the character of your particular dog and your particular circumstances. The APBC and COAPE hold a register of properly qualified people.

Whatever you do don't get a puppy!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back