The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Prey Drive

Chaumsong

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
What are your experiences of prey drive in hounds? Do young dogs always show it or can it develop in time?

My youngest silken windhound Spice (15 months) has no prey drive whatsoever, not that I really mind but it does mean he doesn't take racing seriously. At the weekend his big sister and my friends whippet were bunny hunting, he chased them for fun but wasn't interested at all in the bunnies. When they caught one he looked quite distastefully at it and walked away. Later on the same walk a squirrel crossed our path and Spice watched it going with his ears up, he was off lead but showed no inclination to chase it, while the girls were screaming on their leads :D

A few months ago the dogs put up a rabbit and he actually ran past it, looking over his shoulder like he wanted it to chase him now! :lol:

It makes him a very easy pet, he just wants to stay with Mummy and play. He races for fun, and to get to Mummy at the end of the track but is not at all interested in the lure. I'm hoping to get him lure coursing this winter but suspect it will be a lost cause, at least his sister will love it - she takes any form of hunting very seriously!

My borzois all had high prey drives from a young age, my other silken the same. I call this chap Spiceisnice, he may just be too nice, loves everyone :)

What do you think? Might he develop a prey drive yet?

And just for fun, here is the goofy young lad. Looks the part eh :D

EndevorPrinceValiant-1.jpg

DSCF6141.jpg

DSCF6031.jpg

DSCF1820.jpg

Oh wow - he is lovely - what a gorgeous coat he has!

What are the origins of a silken windhound?

Was he bred from 'workers'? Hope he comes right for you, maybe he needs to get his jaws round his first catch to get his confidence up. You mention him running with other dogs......perhaps he is intimidated by the others, especially if they are bossy bitches?

I have 3 whippet bitches - their prey drives are all different. Lily (4) loves the chase and she will kill at the end and then totally lose interest. The pursuit is everything to her. My middle bitch, Beth (3) is a rescue and worked before she came to us. To her the retrieve is paramount - she retrieves live to hand. On the occasion where she has inadvertently killed her prey she is reluctant to return, although her recall is usually excellent. She may have been punished for this in the past. My youngest bitch Joss (3) who has been seriously ill off and on since she was 16 months, is in for the kill! On walks she is the one most likely to catch a vole or mouse - and eat it! They will all run passionately after the lure.

I love how different they all are, but I can't say I would mind having a dog who had no interest in prey! It would make a welcome change. Spice is absolutely stunning!

I agree with Tigernidster- my life would be much easier if mine werent so insanely obsessed with small furries! :sweating: Spice is such a gorgeous boy :wub:

Thanks everyone, I agree Tigernidster and Pippywhippet he is a very easy dog to own, walk and take places as he just doesn't have a bad bone in his body. I would like him to race, but it doesn't matter if he doesn't he's my companion primarily :)

TTT I don't want to work him, just curious why he doesn't have a prey drive, you may be onto something about being walked (and raced) with a bossy bitch. He comes from a very good line of keen racers but has no interest in the lure himself.

Banana silken windhounds are an American sighthound breed, originally bred down from borzois with the addition of what the Americans called long haired whippets.

He is such a beautiful dog and I have never heard of Silken Windhounds before now, oh Boy would I love one of those, I have been looking online and they sound like fantastic dogs temperament wise too, Spice would be perfect here as we have lots of ferrets.

Are there many of these dogs being bred in the UK?

Oh yes and I would guess that his temperament will stay as it is, but thats nice really, its good to be different isn't it? ;)

Tanya, that is John Muir Country Park in Dunbar, Scotland, a wonderful place for dogs.

DogzRUs, there are 38 silkens in the UK now and there have been 8 litters born here over the last 8 years. I've met a lot more than that at the European show in Germany and they are universally nice natured, with people and other dogs.

Thank you, John Muir Country Park is lovely, we went last year. It's maybe a bit far for us regularly though.

Tanya

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back