The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Problem widdling with 20 month old

Nick409

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
We rescued a Patterdale cross from a farm where she was attacking sheep. The farmer asked my vet son to put her down but he knew that we wanted a dog and offered a home instead. She is now about 20 months old

She is a good dog in all respects and over the three months that we have had her she has settled in well apart from the fact that she will occasionally widdle or poo in the house.

Last night was an example. When we came down in the morning we discovered a wet patch on the carpet. Quite small, it did not appear to be a necessary widdle but just a quick bout of nerves. She had been out in the garden for a lot of the evening (her choice) and she went out just before bed time (1030pm) and we were down at 0740am.

The widdling indoors has become quite rare but it is noteworthy that the previous evening she widdled in her bed! This I find extraordinary.

From time to time she will poo on the carpet overnight. fortunately theyt are usually quite dry and don't make much of a mess. We sponge the area with biological washing liquid as part of the cleanup.

I could go on about other incidences but that gives an indication of the problem.

I do hope that someone can come up with a magic idea that will cure the problem!

Nick

My magic idea would be to spend the night (or a few) downstairs and see what’s going on, let her out if she really needs to go or calm her down if she gets spooked by something during the night.
If this works - then figure how to address permanently....

I assume since your son is a vet, you have ruled out medical causes. The urinating in her bed is very unusual and that's what makes me wonder if it is a form of incontinence. Is she spayed?

It's possible too that in her previous home that she was scolded or punished for toileting which is actually counterproductive, because dogs sometimes think we are angry at them toileting as opposed to toileting in the house. So if she needs overnight, rather than seek you out, she does it in private when you aren't there to get cross.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back