The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Problem with back leg.

jonsav123

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My 13 year old Golden Retriever has developed a problem with her back leg.

It seems to 'lock' every now and again and she can't move it. It only lasts for a few seconds, but it obviously troubles her.

I am wondering if this could be a form of cramp, and if so is there anything I can do to help?

Any advice would be welcome. Thank you.

It could be cramp, but at 13 years old on a large dog it could also be all sorts of hip or knee problems, including cartilage/ligament ruptures which can genuinely cause a piece of tissue to lodge in a joint and cause locking, or osteoarthritis, which can cause pain and spasm on trying to straighten the leg.

If it's bothering her I'm afraid that the only way to know for sure is to have x-rays or scans done, but the issue with that is the fact that she would need to be anaesthetised for that to happen. Could you ask your vet for a referral to an animal osteopath or physiotherapist who could examine your dog really carefully and see if they could work out what is going on without scans? My osteopath has spent the last 20 years knowing exactly what is wrong with my body (often confirmed later by x-rays or scans) and she has yet to be wrong.

In your position whether you want to go down the route of x-rays/scans or not, I'd consider an appointment with an osteopath because that is the very best way for you to find out what you can do to help her when she can't move her leg and is in obvious pain.

Agree with eingana about it being more than likely age related and general wear and tear. I would personally have him checked out with the vet and then you can chat with him or her about options open.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back