The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Problem with ears

EmmaLouise87

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello all. So my little Jack-tzu (Jack Russell/shih-tzu x) is having problems with his ears. I brought this up with my vet a couple of weeks ago. They checked his ears and said found no problems with inside them, seemed clean and healthy. Just on the outer part seemed a bit sore. Vet suggested could be to do with his diet and try to put him on more dry food. So fast forward to now, they are still bad. He seems to be scratching them all the time and now, one is starting to bleed and scab. Trying to keep it clean with wipes and put drops in. Will get him in with the vet but worried they wont do much. Any ideas or experiences with this?

Thanks (included latest pic of my little fur baby)

123074683_354414135831247_5986010686569210591_n.jpg

Oh gosh he is gorgeous. What food are you giving him? Give exact brand & variety, and say if you're also giving him random treats that would have different ingredients. Has he shown any signs of irritation on his feet at all? What drops are you using - are they ones that the vet prescribed?

Oh gosh he is gorgeous. What food are you giving him? Give exact brand & variety, and say if you're also giving him random treats that would have different ingredients. Has he shown any signs of irritation on his feet at all? What drops are you using - are they ones that the vet prescribed?

Hello Judy. Thank you for your nice message.

So he has been on that natural instinct raw frozen food. Also the treat bits they do. Also been giving him those treat meat sticks, the brand is good boy. Also give him random bits of fresh chicken, ham and bits of toast that I eat. He does lick his feet but think hes just grooming himself. Using over the counter drops at the moment. Hope this helps?

So the vet suggested you put him on dry food but you're still feeding raw, is that right? Did the vet suggest a specific dry food? That's not to say that raw isn't the best for him, though you might have to eliminate different protein sources to try to see if he's sensitive to one. But sometimes we need to do what they vet says just so they'll investigate further of it doesn't remedy the problem.

A raw diet is often the best remedy for itches and allergies. Licking of the feet can sometimes be caused by an allergy. Have you any Idea what the Good boy meat flavour sticks are made of?
What type of over the counter ear drops are you using?

Are you feeding any dry food as the vet suggested. Dry kibbles themselves can often cause itches and allergies. What make has your vet suggested?

I wouldnt use wipes ..try cotton wool pads and cooled boiled water ...try to give treats that are homemade or more natural ...my lot are allergic to chicken ...i have a jack russell who has occasional allergies ....i eliminated different foods ...he has raw food but only has home made treats and half a bonio a day ....

Thanks for the replies. My head is all over the place. Managed to get him with the vet.

Last time I went, was expecting the vet to say it was fleas/mites but she just said, seem healthy inside so try feeling him part kibble with normal diet. Have been doing that but no change. He does lick his feet but not as much as scratching his ears. Getting more worried because hes causing them to bleed and scab. Cant ignore it.

Just looking on the packet of this treat sticks and says 100% natural chicken.

I use wipes at the moment as its just impossible to get anywhere near his ears. Even with the help of my mum and us trying to do it together. He goes crazy and gets angry/upset. Even tried wearing my dads old motorbike gloves when putting the drops in as he bites a lot. The drops are by Johnsons and over the counter.

I am stopping giving him his raw natural instrict food because he really doesnt want to eat it anymore after many attempts. He prefers the dry food I give him.

What kibble are you feeding him?

What kibble are you feeding him?

He was on wainwrights dry puppy food, that was the food he was on when with his breeder but after seeing a trainer got told him being put on a raw food diet would help so I did, which made him not want to eat the dry food. He was more keen to eat the raw food but he started going off that and noticed he loved to eat the food from my friends dog bowl which is what he is on now. I am struggling what to do for best. Hes a very fussy eater and I just want him to eat his meals. Its hard to put it in his bowl and leave it for him to go back to because of living with my mums dog, who gobbles it up whenever he can lol.

Bakers dry dog food is not a very good quality, it is based on grain which can lead to allergies and itches.
A grain free product would be best.
Unfortunately our vets have very little knowledge about our dogs dietry needs. They are trained to be vets and medical, not nutritionists.

Changing and swapping his food so often is not a good idea at the moment, you must give any change time to be effective and then consider an elimination process.
Others will help you on this.

Ok, im able to go to a big pet shop at the weekend (the joys of not being a driver lol) so will look then and also do research online. For now im just worried about keeping his ears clean and not get infected.

Thanks for the advice.

A lot of companies deliver.

Bakers isn't very good quality - if I'm looking at the right one, its main ingredient (almost half) is cereal. Cereals are notoriously often to blame for skin problems.

Have a look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

It is an independent dog food comparison website which scores all types of foods (dry, raw, wet) out of 100. You can set filters for your dog's breed, weight, age etc. and for your daily budget; then you can add in any specific needs you have such as aiming for weight loss or avoiding specific ingredients. The website will automatically show the foods listed in order of what the assessors believe is best quality, and it also will show daily feeding cost (calculated from your dog's age and weight) so you can see what gives you best value for money. It has its limitations but it's a decent place to start.

Bakers scores 25%; the one I use scores 78%, is cheaper, and is delivered free.

A lot of companies deliver.

Bakers isn't very good quality - if I'm looking at the right one, its main ingredient (almost half) is cereal. Cereals are notoriously often to blame for skin problems.

Have a look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

It is an independent dog food comparison website which scores all types of foods (dry, raw, wet) out of 100. You can set filters for your dog's breed, weight, age etc. and for your daily budget; then you can add in any specific needs you have such as aiming for weight loss or avoiding specific ingredients. The website will automatically show the foods listed in order of what the assessors believe is best quality, and it also will show daily feeding cost (calculated from your dog's age and weight) so you can see what gives you best value for money. It has its limitations but it's a decent place to start.

Bakers scores 25%; the one I use scores 78%, is cheaper, and is delivered free.

This is great. Thanks for the advice.

Vet for sure thinks it's to do with his diet so once its his naptime will get researching. Also been given stronger drops. Got to go back in a week.

Feeling a bit better

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back