The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Problems With Anaesthetics

REMI

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all, I am soon to become the 'benefactor' of an Iggy girl. I am planning to have her spayed at the appropriate time but am a little worried. Have heard that Whippets have problems with general anaesthetics. Is this the same with Italian Greyhounds?

Am a talented worrier and have started before I have even met this little one! Julie

Get the vet to use the same anaesthetic as they use on greyhounds and other running dogs. It is a lot more expensive but they come out of it a lot better.

whippophile said:
Hi all, I am soon to become the 'benefactor' of an Iggy girl.  I am planning to have her spayed at the appropriate time but am a little worried. Have heard that Whippets have problems with general anaesthetics. Is this the same with Italian Greyhounds?  Am a talented worrier and have started before I have even met this little one!  Julie

Hi there,

As a qualified veterinary nurse and italian greyhound lover i can understand you being concerned. In practise we use a drug called Propafol (rapinovet) and an anaesthetic gas called Isoflo. These drugs are used in breeds such as greyhounds/whippet/ig;s. Anaesthetic agents are often aided in being metabolised by body fat and because a whippet etc doesn;t have much body fat, the drug stays in there system causing them to take longer to come around from the anaesthetic. Rapinovet is not metabolised by fat and therefore is out of the animals system much quicker aiding a smooth recovery from anaesthetic. I hope this is helpful. Most practises now use Rapiovet as there main anaesthetic now anyway but be sure to menion it when booking your little one in.

Thank you again. I will take note and speak to Vets prior to op. In your collective opinions, what is the optimum age to spay/spey a pup. Is there any benefit to postponing as long as possible?

She arrives sometime the week starting 5.9.05 ... am getting very, very toey. Julie

whippophile said:
Thank you again. I will take note and speak to Vets prior to op.  In your collective opinions, what is the optimum age to spay/spey a pup.  Is there any benefit to postponing as long as possible?She arrives sometime the week starting 5.9.05 ... am getting very, very toey.  Julie

You can spay bitchs from 6 months old, but i personallt thinl this is too young. Generally at the practise i work at spay them 2-3 months after their first season.

Aaahh. I wondered if it were something like that. Are you able to elaborate on the reasons? If not appropriate to post (don't want to cause any stir), feel free to PM or email me. Would love to know more. thank you, J

whippophile said:
Aaahh. I wondered if it were something like that. Are you able to elaborate on the reasons? If not appropriate to post (don't want to cause any stir), feel free to PM or email me. Would love to know more.  thank you, J
The reasons for spaying at 6 months are because it has been shown that bitches that were spayed prior to having a season are less likely to develop mammary tumours. I personally think that it is not fair to neuter (male or female) before they are fully mature - this is because it can stop them from becoming mature. I suppose this is more apparent in the larger breeds.

Huh, thank you. Fairly obvious I suppose if I thought about it. Ta. Julie

She should be with me by next week!!!! Yipppeeee :D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back