The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Protozoa neospora cannis- help!

jayjay9210

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'm writing regarding our much loved puppy, who has been diagnosed with Protozoa Neospora Cannis, seven days ago. She is being treated with Clindamycin anti-biotics, and we are based in London. Our vet has no recorded cases of this horrible parasite and apparently there are only a few cases in the whole of the United Kingdom where we live. Such is the rarity of this in England, the vet has taken a video of our pup to send to the Royal college of Veterinary Surgeons for their research. After reviewing the video all they offered was to administer the anti-biotics in one go at a higher dose, per day, rather than every 12 hours, beyond that, nothing. This parasite has come from consuming raw minced beef. There are cysts of the parasite that can be contracted usually through re-productive tissue, such as a tiny piece of placenta from the cow. I have spent hours researching this and all I can come up with is Clindamycin (or alternative sulpher anti-biotics) and massage/physio for the affected area, which of course are already in hand. If there is anyone else out there with any experience or knowledge of this horrible, heartbreaking condition, please do let me know. I know there are more cases of this abroad, particularly with dogs working with cattle and livestock.

So sorry you are going through this. Having raised puppies myself I knew that it is vital to ensure that raw beef is always frozen before being fed as I believe this kils the neospora.

I expect that by the time you get through this you will know more about it than most vets.

Sending you my best wishes for a happy outcome. Do please let us know how it goes.Sorry I've nothing helpful to add.

Thanks very much, dogmatize and gypsysmum2 for your kindness. Dogmatize, you are right, ironically it feels we do know more than most vets, which is wrong in itself. I just wish someone out there had some direction. Taking pills and "hoping for the best" is of not much comfort as you can imagine.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back