The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pulling On The Lead

Santa's Little Helper

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just wondered if anyone out there has any positve training tips to stop a dog pulling on the lead.

Simba's been great at picking up all his other training - he sits and waits at curbs, good at recall, goes to his bed when we're eating, etc - but we can't get him out of the habit of dragging us down the street! :blink:

I know he's just mad excited to be going somewhere, but he's a strong little feller and our arms are getting tired! (w00t)

We've tried making him sit and stop [but sometimes time is on the short side and I don't want him to go without a walk and doing this every two seconds gets you nowhere!], treating him, talking to him and shaking the lead, but it's all in vain. I've got to the point where I can't wait to get to where I can let him off the lead [where, funnily enough, he then seems quite happy to trot along quite close to you, but I daren't do this near roads in case of cats and foxes, which he likes to 'check out'! :blink: ]

Any other ideas?

[PS; he's taken out three or four times a day for one to two hours in total, so it's not lack of exercise! :) ]

Our rescue was a terrible puller and I stopped her by never letting her get a 'grip' on the collar. i.e. tightening and releasing my hand on the lead os it sort of vibrates, occaisionally giving completely so if she was pulling she jerked forward and very quickly she stopped. She came with halti collar which she hated (if anything worries her now she rubs her head as if she's still got one on) and she had it for 3 months with no effect

We'll give it ago, thankyou :D

OEH said:
She came with  halti collar which she hated (if anything worries her now she rubs her head as if she's still got one on) and she had it for 3 months with no effect
Just talking to someone else about a halti - tried this too but, like with your experience, it had no effect; he just hated having it put on, but having a strong head still pulled on it! :blink:

Santa said:
We'll give it ago, thankyou  :D
Just talking to someone else about a halti - tried this too but, like with your experience, it had no effect; he just hated having it put on, but having a strong head still pulled on it!  :blink:

I have found that like us each dog is individual so not all tricks etc work.

I have one that needs a check chain or she pulls like mad. my old Deerhound loved a chest harness and my lurcher boy is having some success with a halti- so try most things at least once!

One trainer I know suggests walking the dog in circles ie if it pulls head the other way to the right until stops pulling. I have seen this have some succes but also one or two dizzy owners :lol:

Hi SLH.

Perhaps try "Dog Listener" books/videos by Jan Fennel ? - covers most know problem areas, including pulling on lead as I remember.

Luckily never had this problem but have read her books and attended talks by her a while ago - based on ethos of whos in charge, NOT heavy handed in any way at all, just case of understanding the dogs mind...many, many a 'problem' dog helped by her observations of dogs based on pack theory (she researched and developed this method in a non tiresome, very humane way, she eventually put this into practice after a meeting with the real "Horse Whisperer", watching him work with highly effective, speedy results with horses) adapting to a dogs eye view of life...hard to explain, but LORDY THE METHOD WORKS!!! All credit to her :thumbsup:

Friend runs a small rescue for hounds, and if folks have taken on a dog with the odd narkey problem (ok, bless em, some folk have knowingly taken on much more than this), following "Dog Listening" theory has led to contentment all round. :huggles:

Hope this is of some help, and if not...still well worth a read for the case studies contained, try google search on the "Dog listener" or see what your local library has/can obtain.

Let us know how you get on. :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Santa said:
Just wondered if anyone out there has any positve training tips to stop a dog pulling on the lead.
Simba's been great at picking up all his other training - he sits and waits at curbs, good at recall, goes to his bed when we're eating, etc - but we can't get him out of the habit of dragging us down the street!  :blink:

I know he's just mad excited to be going somewhere, but he's a strong little feller and our arms are getting tired!  (w00t)

We've tried making him sit and stop [but sometimes time is on the short side and I don't want him to go without a walk and doing this every two seconds gets you nowhere!], treating him, talking to him and shaking the lead, but it's all in vain.  I've got to the point where I can't wait to get to where I can let him off the lead [where, funnily enough, he then seems quite happy to trot along quite close to you, but I daren't do this near roads in case of cats and foxes, which he likes to 'check out'!  :blink: ]

Any other ideas?

We had one pulled us everywhere, and used a halti, it was brilliant, we used it on her as a training aid and now no longer have to use it, she just has a collar. They dont like it at first, and will rub their face on the floor, thats because like with everthing it takes a while to get used to, but was well worth the effort.

Good luck with your boy,

[PS; he's taken out three or four times a day for one to two hours in total, so it's not lack of exercise!  :) ]

Thanks everyone for your ideas - we're going to put some to the test and we'll let you know which one worked for Simba! :thumbsup:

bappit said:
Perhaps try "Dog Listener" books/videos by Jan Fennel ? - covers most know problem areas, including pulling on lead as I remember.
Luckily never had this problem but have read her books and attended talks by her a while ago - based on ethos of whos in charge, NOT heavy handed in any way at all, just case of understanding the dogs mind...many, many a 'problem' dog helped  by her observations of dogs based on pack theory (she researched and developed this method in a non tiresome, very humane way, she eventually put this into practice after a meeting with the real "Horse Whisperer", watching him work with highly effective, speedy results with horses) adapting to a dogs eye view of life...hard to explain, but LORDY THE METHOD WORKS!!! All credit to her :thumbsup:

Will definitely go out and get a copy of this as it sounds fab :) Simba is our first dog and when we first got him I had my nose stuck in one dog book or another for a couple of months because I wanted to be able to understand and communicate with him for us to get the most enjoyment and benefit from him [and visa versa, I guess]. One of my favourites is 'Reading the Dog's Mind' by John and Mary Holmes. But there is always more to learn, [although I think I learn most from Simba himself! :D ]

Hey, cool...Simba does'nt sound like there are any major problems, right enough :)) ...just thought you may pick up odds from the 'Dog listener' books, as well as finding them generally interesting.

By chance I was reading an article last night in Countryman's Weekly about pack structure and the way in which it is thought to work, made good points in terms of the 'alpha' in a pack does'nt do training sessions! However, Jan Fennel's theory's have an unequalled sucess it must be said, and does not promote harsh training, just calm approach and development. Think you may well find them informitive and enjoyable.

Without wanting to recommend things I'v never implemented or books I'v never read, I do also believe that there is another other book you may find interesting ...try Google search or go to Countryman's Weekly for source, or GAL (greyhound Awarness League) on Jackie Drakeford "The House Lurcher", good friend who rehomes lurchers recommends this along with the Fennel books.

Do let us know how you go :luck:

bappit said:
Jackie Drakeford "The House Lurcher", good friend who rehomes lurchers recommends this along with the Fennel books.

This is a brilliant book I have found it invaluable

Have to get hold of copy of "The House Lurcher" for myself, heard many good things about it :))

Know it can be bought from GAL - Greyhound Awareness League online shop, have also seen it advertised in Countryman's Weekly by Melbourne Books telephone no 01403 871272 @ £19.95 they supply many lurcher titles. Away to order mine now.

Teya doesn't pull if she's on a show lead - she's wonderful! But on a regular collar - pulls like mad. We recently started doing her walks on a dogmatic. She hated it the first day, but after that she walks perfectly in it - no face rubbing, no messing about. She really enjoys her walks. She walks so it's just at the end of the lead - not pulling, but she can feel the limit (we walk her on a 3 ft lead so it's pretty much in a heel position). Don't know why she wants to be there, but it works for her. I have no doubt we'll probably always have to use it for walking, but she's happy enough in it.

We also had to use it (or Gentle Leader) for Chelsea - she hates it and rubs her nose all the time when it's off - but she walks perfectly in it - and pulls like a steam engine out of it.

We started Savvy off in the dogmatic again recently to remind her to walk nicely, and used it for about 3 days. She HATED it, so we tried her a day without it. She knows if she doesn't want it on she has to walk nicely and hasn't needed it since. Now these are all when they're walking on their own (hubby takes them out one at a time in the morning). When they're together all bets are off no matter what they're wearing.

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back