The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pup sleeping

Sue93

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all,
How much sleep SHOULD a pup be getting? We've had 10 week old molly a couple of weeks (whippet/greyhound/saluki - hopefully not too much saluki :D - lurcher). She's a little love (when she's not being a mad crocodile). She sleeps through the night in her crate (one loo break about 4am) from 10pm til 7am. But in the day she seems to only get a few - maybe 3 max - hours sleep.
I got "How to housebreak your puppy in 7 days" and when I'd stopped laughing (only because there is no WAY it's going to be 7 days!), I did notice they referred to 3 or 4 hour sleeps in crate TWICE during the day (one morning, one afternoon). Molly is getting nowhere near that. Should I crate her more during the day?
Thanks for any advice - I've had 2 lurchers before but both rescues, not a puppy, so it all feels strangely new :)
Sue

Ooh, we need photos... please! :)

I remember laughing over similar things in baby books when DS1 was born. Not laughing with amusement though, more mad hysterical laughter....

I would throw away the book, or disregard it when it doesn't fit Molly. I'm sure she's getting enough sleep for her, she doesn't need to be put down for prescribed naps (unless she's getting overtired and winding herself up into astronomical levels of silliness), and doesn't even need to spend time in her crate unless both you and she are happy with it. I can't remember how long/often my lurcher slept for when he was that age but I do know I was completely exhausted so I doubt I got two 3-4-hour stretches of downtime a day!

Is she whippet greyhound xsaluki ...if so she is a long dog and the 3 naughtiess of all the sighthounds in pups ....she sounds like she is getting plenty of rest i wouldnt crate her anymore than you are ....can you post a pic please :p
I have had many a foster lurcher pup ,greyhound and whippet pups and the greyhounds were the worst but you will have an amazing fully grown girl and it will all be worth it ;)

thanks both - I kind of assumed that about the book, but it rather shook my confidence. I was same with daughter - someone sent me one of those "stand by your bed" child-rearing manuals. That went straight in the recycling .

Mum is whippet lurcher (not sure but couldn’t spot saluki in her). Dad greyhound/some saluki allegedly but couldn’t spot in him. Both gorgeous soppy “leany” types. I’d have taken them both. Molly def has saluki colouring

Last edited:
sorry guys being utterly useless with pics - thumbnail too small and full size image seems to crash the site :D
I'll try again tomorrow after a good nights sleep (falls about laughing)

Must say I'm laughing a lot at the 3 naughtiest sighthounds. Our first lurcher was greyhound/deerhound but was a rather damaged dog, never really recovered from a dreadful start but was utterly beloved by us. We lost Tilly (greyhound/collie) only a month or so ago but were so bereft (after 14 years) and the house felt too empty so... Molly arrived bless her.

But both previous lurcher loves were taken on as adult rescues (with obvious challenges). This feels like a whole new demented world :D

Last edited:
15730144-4120-4A8C-9CE5-C218122DA284.jpeg

Those eyes! Those spotty legs!! I am in love xxx

It’s a good job they’re so gorgeous eh? Particularly when asleep (so very like a human baby...).
I know you’re supposed to limit wild exercise but assume I’m ok letting her do the demented greyhound circle once or twice a day? Not sure how I’d stop her tbh

It’s a good job they’re so gorgeous eh? Particularly when asleep (so very like a human baby...).
I know you’re supposed to limit wild exercise but assume I’m ok letting her do the demented greyhound circle once or twice a day? Not sure how I’d stop her tbh
Yes, it's fine for her to do the zoomies - it's forced exercise and things like stairs you need to restrict. And the zoomies are a joy to see!

Thanks Joanne that’s great to hear. We have a flight of 6 steps up into the garden - we try to carry her up and down but increasingly fail. Should we be stricter about that?

Thanks Joanne that’s great to hear. We have a flight of 6 steps up into the garden - we try to carry her up and down but increasingly fail. Should we be stricter about that?
Is there any way you could build a ramp temporarily? I wouldn't be massively concerned except with giant breeds, but better to avoid it if you possibly can.

You could get some sort of guard - I use an opened out dog playpen to make a freestanding fence to block access to one bit of the garden - and when you're out you could pop it round the steps so she can't run down them. I think that going downstairs might be potentially more damaging than going up, but don't quote me on that.

3CEEEF8B-22A1-45E7-87D3-2C10A8BD0B8C.jpeg
Thanks all. We have a puppy pen that needs another use finding for it. She scaled it 4 hours after arriving with us...

Ah... She has Tigger springs in her legs!

Haha typical saluki pup ....
Nine years ago we took a 10 week old saluki foster pup in originally from ireland that had parvo virus ...after intensive care he florished and we seriously considered adopting him ...but he was so naughty ...he used to chase the adult lurchers either swinging from their tail or doing the wall of death up our leather sofa ....
My auntie adopted him and he is the most regal lovely boy (but it took him 5 yrs to calm down ):D:D:D:D:D:D;););)
She is gorgeous

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back