The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pup Training In Progress

Kelly Burt

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hey ev1. My gorgeous 16 week old pup Chester is taking training like a duck to water! I would just like a bit of advise if possible on couple of things.
Firstly I’m teaching him leave it and we have conquered the leaving the treats just about. Any tips on him leaving everything else? I’m researching training videos at mo so hopefully I’ll find something.
Secondly it’s nipping. He is great when I touch his ears paws etc he’s all good. It’s our ears lol and our hands at times. I usually give him a loudiah “eh eh” and it works sometimes. Any advise on what to do x
So far he can
Sit, stay, lay down, leave treats (sometimes lol) also can do nose to hand target. I know we will probably hit the dreaded stage ev1 keeps talking about but am really trying to keep on top of training everyday x
Thanks in advance!! X

Attachments

• 1C3DAFA8-4E4C-4240-9E16-D102958C5A83.jpeg
    1C3DAFA8-4E4C-4240-9E16-D102958C5A83.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 208
I will let someone else pick up on the Leave because I don't use it (if nobody does, check Kikopup on YouTube for training videos) but I can offer some words on the nipping.

This is just an extension of the boisterous play he had with his littermates but he needs to learn this is not how to play with humans. Some people find a sharp 'ouch' works but it can just ramp up the excitement. Some people find putting a toy in the dog's mouth works, others find the puppy is still more interested in nipping hands. My preferred method is to teach him that teeth on skin equals end of fun. So as soon as he makes contact, walk out of the room for a few moments. As long as the whole family is consistent - do it immediately and do it every time - he will learn. You could use a house line to draw him away, which keeps your hands both out of reach and also keeps hands for only good things.

I use leave it ... a lot.

With George our new 18 month old beagle-ish pup Im using a clicker. George is very food motivated so leave it -click -treat is working like a dream . One walk without clicker he picked up about 20 twigs that I had to keep taking out of his mouth , next walk with clicker only 5 twigs..

Murphy who has been with us since 8weeks old has leave it down to a T he will even do leave it t a distance when he is off lead . So it can work but like everything it can take time and you need to remember to use the right words every time...eg; No good saying leave it this time and drop it the next

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back