The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy advice please

Donna04

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all.We have a 5 month chihuahua and need some advice She has gone off all food the last few days and will only eat if we feed her off our hands or off floor .She has dry food which we soak a bit but we have been trying a few different ones due to her not eating properly .Shes great and playful in herself and will take treats but cant understand why her feeding as gone so strange.Havent changed her bowl either.Any ideas ?

My auntie bred chihuahuas for years and they were always picky eaters she may prefer a wet food as well as kibble ....
My aunitie wouldnt feed kibble only as she said they can be prone to kidney problems if only fed kibble ....
She is gorgeous. ...

My auntie bred chihuahuas for years and they were always picky eaters she may prefer a wet food as well as kibble ....
My aunitie wouldnt feed kibble only as she said they can be prone to kidney problems if only fed kibble ....
She is gorgeous. ...
Ah thank you Yeh ive tried lots of different wet foods too but still only eats out of hand Think she's a little diva .

My dog is seldom fed from a bowl. He seems to value his food more if he has to 'earn' it so he either does simple obedience routines or tricks , or if I am busy he gets it in a snuffle mat. So if she is happy to take the food by hand maybe thats an option.

If she is taking it by hand less than enthusiastically, I'd first check the date and make sure it is still fresh, then ring the manufacturer and see if they have changed the ingredients.

Are you sure you're not offering too much food and she's just not that hungry?

Sometimes a particular bowl can put a dog off. You could try a different type, or put the food in a Kong... or see if feeding her on a 'human' plate will make her feel like she's being treated with the respect she deserves ;) A little salt-free gravy/chicken broth mixed with her kibble might help too.

As well as the good suggestions made above:

She is the right age for still bedding in her adult teeth, or one/some may have come through crookedly and be hurting her mouth.
She is the right age for coming into season, which in some will affect the appetite.
Are there other animals in the household?

As well as the good suggestions made above:

She is the right age for still bedding in her adult teeth, or one/some may have come through crookedly and be hurting her mouth.
She is the right age for coming into season, which in some will affect the appetite.
Are there other animals in the household?
No shes the only pet.Thank you for the great advice .

Are you sure you're not offering too much food and she's just not that hungry?

Sometimes a particular bowl can put a dog off. You could try a different type, or put the food in a Kong... or see if feeding her on a 'human' plate will make her feel like she's being treated with the respect she deserves ;) A little salt-free gravy/chicken broth mixed with her kibble might help too.
Definitely will try all of the above .Thanks

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back