The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy broken bone on paw, do I still purchase it?

Beaucoe

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register

Hello all,

I am due to pick up a 9week old Weimaraner puppy next week. The breeder called yesterday to say unfortunately the puppy has fractured its paw bone. It isn't lame or showing any discomfort. They took him to the vets who x rayed and said it was a fracture on the B2 bone, so not a joint but could may or may not cause an issue later I.e. Arthritis or osteoporosis. The vet said to rest for a few weeks and it will all be fine, it is not bandaged. The breeder says it will be fine too. Question is will I be taking a big risk I feel I go ahead and still purchase the puppy? 

Advice please

vets who x rayed and said it was a fracture on the B2 bone, so not a joint but could may or may not cause an issue later I.e. Arthritis or osteoporosis.

I would be concerned that insurance would class it as a pre existing condition, and not pay out. As arthritis and osteoporosis are lifelong conditions, you could end up with an extremely expensive dog.

Is it usual for a puppy to fracture its paw, when its not able to leave the house yet? Presumably hes just been walking around the living room carpet. Unless he was playing with the other puppy and one fell on him? Don't know. It wasnt fractured when he waa born? 

Have you seen the puppy previous to this? Was it walking ok before? I couldnt help being suspicious but depends on the circumstances. If youve met them and they have been upfront about everything else; e.g have a copy if their first vaccinations etc. Go with your instincts. 

Not sure how near you are to the breeder but you could ask to take the puppy to your vet for his/her opinion before purchase. Even a different vet in the breeder's own practice would give you their personal opinion on the prognosis for this puppy.

The one thing you mustn't do is feel sorry for the puppy and take it anyway. Be guided by the advice on here and most importantly from a qualified vet.

I'm a bit confused - not unusual, but can't find a reference to "B2" as a bone in a dog's paw. -- ???

@Beaucoe -
Did the vet perchance refer to a "B2 fracture", meaning a type of fracture?...  // Which bone is it, a metacarpal ['palm' of forepaw], metatarsus ['forefoot' of rear paw], or a phalange [digit - the finger or toe, either fore or rear] ?

dog-paws-internal.jpg

TIA,
- terry

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back