The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy collar advice please

Lornawdk

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
14994243251981997002668.jpgHi there I have a 11 week old whippet x beddlington. I would like to start walking her around the garden on a lead before I am able to take her out. Any advice on what is the best collar type for this little pup? 

I prefer a harness - less risk of damage to the neck or trachea . At her age buy cheap, as she will outgrow everything. But watch out for fasteners close to elbows where they can rub, and nylon straps 'finished' by melting the edge with heat which leaves a very hard finish that could be very uncomfortable next to tender areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a broad leather fan myself.

Whichever you choose make sure it is comfy and don't pay too much at this stage. There is a definite market for hiring collars for people to try out I think :)

Remember when you are doing your garden walking that you are setting the benchmark for later walking on the lead. Make sure puppy follows you, not the other way around, and if the lead goes tight wait until it is slack before allowing puppy to move on to the next exciting thing! Reward all the attention the puppy gives you :)

Gorgeous Puppy!

just to thoroughly confuse things, ;) ...
I like limited-slip AKA half-check or martingale collars - specifically, the sighthound-styles, with no buckles. These collars consist of 2 loops; the larger is adjustable & is the 'collar' proper, the smaller has the ring, where the leash attaches.
When either the dog or the handler put tension on the leash, the smaller loop tightens - but unlike a choke-collar / infinite slip collar, it can only tighten a few inches.  Unless the dog is actually suspended - IOW, their feet are off the ground - s/he cannot strangle in a martingale.

This one is from FidoGear, & the collar-loop is much wider than the leash-loop - which spreads pressure over a wider area, for the dog's comfort. [However, note the plastic slides, & i'll bet that D-ring is bent metal, with a small gap hidden by the nylon webbing. On a full-sized dog like a Greyhound, they could fail under impact.]

SH%20Collar.jpg

Martingales are much-safer than standard buckle collars for sighthounds & their crosses, due to the tightening-under-tension design. Sighthounds, lurchers, & a few relatives have very narrow skulls, only slightly wider than their necks - that allows them to easily slip OUT of a buckle- / tag-collar, particularly if they are startled or frightened, & pull BACK, like a balking horse.  The collar slides up their necks, & right over their skinny heads...  :eek:

This is a plain-Jane simple, inexpensive martingale -
1_inch_nylon_martingale_collar_colorful_greyhound_martingale_collar_91192f50_666152.jpg

A properly-fitted martingale can't go over the dog's head, however hard s/he pulls. It's adjusted to sit high on the neck, as close to the jaws as possible, with the leash-loop ___lying FLAT_____ . against the neck - no slack, smoothly fitted. Adjusted this way, it cannot be dragged off over the dog's ears & head, but at the same time, it's comfortable & not binding, nor does it rub the dog's neck & chafe.

There's no point in a martingale adjusted so loosely that it lies midway or more down the dog's neck;  sometimes i see them sitting slackly on the dog's shoulders. :blink:   This is ridiculous, since if the dog abruptly pulls & DROPS their head, closing the few inches of the leash-loop does nothing -- the large set diameter of the collar-loop is unchanged.

I've actually watched dogs wearing loose martingales while off-leash lose them in the grass while sniffing - they're walking slowly head-down,  & the collar simply falls off over their heads to the ground...  the dog walks on.
If it's one of these, U'll want to find it quickly...
5d433ad1ba5014679db8e964df398ba5.jpg

All of Mrs Bones collars use solid sand-cast brass hardware - it's all one piece, & can't bend open like a bent D-ring, or is there a weld to crack or fail. Her supplier also makes the hardware for Coach handbags, purses, & luggage.
Her collars have a lifetime replacement warranty against damage - but losing the collar can't be claimed. ;)   // They're not cheap, but IMO & IME, they're worth every penny; i have some that are now over 10-YO, & they're still gorgeous. I wash them with my laundry, bagged in pillowcases or lingerie-bags, to protect the interior of the washer from the hardware.

- terry

Last edited by a moderator:
added note -
the bicolor martingales in the photo are from an Etsy-like site, ArtFire  -
1-inch wide nylon webbing with nickel-chromed hardware & the D-rings are welded shut.

https://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/product_view/TrendyHounds/8702354/1_inch_nylon_martingale_collar_colorful_greyhound_martingale_collar/handmade/pets/collars

Get them in a single color of Ur choice, or any 2 colors - the maker does them to order, & says to be sure to measure accurately. :)
At $10-USA, i think they're a very reasonable cost.
 - terry

just found this -
DIY how-to for making a martingale -

http://www.romprescue.com/2013/11/diy-martingale-collar-italian-greyhounds/

it's designed for an IG, but it's easy to alter for larger dogs, or indeed for any size or any breed, by using wider webbing for bigger dogs, & altering measurements -
try to find solid, not bent-to-shape, CAST hardware, for any dog weighing 40# or more.

As the instructions note, the integrity of the collar is contingent on Ur own sewing, & the quality of materials used. ;)
  -------- terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back