The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy Collar For Whippet

TanyaM

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

We are getting an 8 week old whippet in a couple of weeks time. I have bought her a basic lightweight puppy collar and lead (suggestion from pet shop staff), but I know that I need a wider collar later on. At what point should I get a 'whippet style' wider collar? Do you need to get a smaller version specially made for adolescent whippets?

The first four weeks she'll only be taken out in our wee garden on the lead and will wear it sometimes in the house to get her used to the sensation, will the puppy collar be fine for this?

Dh thinks my planning everything several weeks in advance is a bit strange, but I really like to be prepared and I'm counting down until the 15th when I collect our pup.

Thanks

Tanya

How lovely - a whippet pup! You can look forward to much fun!

You are right to be prepared - and to ask lots of questions! Your whippet will have lots of growing to do so don't rush into a proper wide collar until this is finished. Ordinary ones will be fine in the mean time - at least for the first few months.

Looking forward to seeing pics!

Thank you. The pet shop assistant said the puppy collar would be fine, but I really wanted to check on here with you guys who are experts. I promise pics of her soon.

Tanya

Puppy collar will be fine for a while. I usually walk mine on an all-in-one 1 inch martingale lead for a couple of months, then change to wider over time.

http://www.collarsrus.co.uk has some of the styles I use (martingale style for walking, regular collars to keep their tags on in the house). They also sell leather whippet collars too, some in IG size which can be used while pups.

Wendy

I've read about martingales and had thought to go (like you) with one of those and a house collar for the tag - it seems a popular combo on here. I'd never thought about IG sizing for puppies though - thanks for that and for the link - very pretty collars :)

Tanya

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back