The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy crate crying

Newbie18

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

I had dogs with my parents for years, but finally got one of my own a few days ago. He’s a gorgeous little 8 week old Shih Tzu boy called Milo. I’ve joined up to try and get some hints and advice as I’m a bit of an anxious owner.

I’ve had him with me for 3 nights and his crying is awful. I’m keeping him in a crate in the kitchen which has a comfy bed, water and puppy pad. I leave a soft light and radio on. I don’t know what else to do to make him feel safe and happy in there.

I slept with him on the kitchen floor the first night but it didn’t make any difference.

I work from home most of the time so have moved the crate into the study with me. He still seems to hate it!

Should I leave the crate in the study as that’s where I’ll spend most of my time? Or leave it in the kitchen?

I don’t want him in the bedroom at night. Eventually when he’s old enough he’ll have the run of the downstairs so I want him to get comfortable down there.

Any advice will be great fully received!

Thanks

Well he's a tiny creature that has just lost his mother and siblings and the only world he's ever known. Their warmth, their company and the security they gave have gone- why would he not cry? Obviously people on here will be able to give you advice on crate-training so I guess there are things to do to get him over this transition in his life by using one. But since I hate crates I'll suggest you try to find a way of giving him company and contact. There's no scientific evidence that keeping a puppy close during its first few weeks has any ill effects. I was an undergrad when we had our first puppy and it sat on my knee most of the day while I studied or wrote. At night he came to bed in a box. At about 4 a.m he'd wake up, have a wee on the newspaper and cry- my OH leaned over and put him on the bed between us on a towel- where he'd sleep for next three hours. Gradually we weaned him off sleeping upstairs. He didn't grow up maladjusted nor did he have SA - ever.

He is only 8 weeks and will be feeling very lonely. ..can you not have the crate in your bedroom until he is older ...crates are useful but your pup needs to be crate trained you cant expect him to settle in there on his own ...

Your puppy has been taken from its mother and siblings, and now prisoned in an alien cage.
You need to take time introducing your little puppy to a cage, cover the cage with a blanket (to make it cosy and den like) and a secure place, with the puppies bed inside, make sure the cage is not too small and cramped. Feed your puppy in the cage and give kind words when the puppy walks in and out or even goes in to sleep in the cage. Make the cage a happy place, not just a hateful place of confinement !
Have you considered a puppy pen and leaving the cage door open.

I do not like cages myself and neither an adult dog or puppy should be shut up in a cage, like a rabbit or guinea pig, just for convenience. I understand that sometimes cages have their uses, but our dogs are social animals and should be aloud freedom of movement too.
I'm sorry to be so blunt, but please consider your young puppies needs and help him to slowly, make the cage a happy place.

Crates are useful but are misused ..not on purpose but it can be seen as an easy option ...mine had crates whilst they were pups but the door was removed and they only ever went in when they chose to ..having a pup is like a newborn baby ...having your pup in your room with you for his first few months will help him settle ...a puppy pen would be much better and next to you in your room ....
Try seeing it from your pups view ...he is with you most of the day and then shut in a crate alone ...soft lighting and a radio wont help ...and you have only had him a few days. ..please consider having him in your room ...as he gets older you can gradually move him outof your room it will be worth it :)

We had Harri's crate in our bedroom for the first few nights and then gradually moved him and the crate away over a couple of weeks til it was in the kitchen where I intended him to sleep. We had no crying - he was close enough to smell and hear us so was comforted whilst he was little. Initially the door was closed for his own safety but by the time we'd had him for a week it was left open.

I retired it completely in the spring - it would have been much sooner but he loved his cosy crate!

I've always used puppy pens,one at the side of my bed and one downstairs. If the pup can't settle,I'll put my hand in to the pen while I'm in bed. Normally it doesn't take the pup too long to settle.

I agree, put the crate in your bedroom, at least at first, that's what I did with Rox when she was a pup, it was facing me so that she could see where I was.
And importantly not rewarding the crying noise, it can be hard but try to ignore it and praise/let out when quiet.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back