The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy crate training

Keelty

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi. Our 9 week Plummer terrier is pretty good at using the puppy pads to wee/poo on but at night when we put him in his crate he soils his bed. He is quiet all night until about 4.30/5am but I'm lost as to how to stop him using his bed as a toilet! Should I keep the crate door open so he can go and use the pad in the night? Many thanks

A 9 week old pup often can't hold its bladder or bowel movement throughout the night so unless you let him out every few hours to go toilet, why not put a puppy pad in the crate with him?

I personally didn't use puppy pads incase Theo tried eating them. I tried to get him into a routine of when he ate he went straight outside and this was the case after every meal. We had a couple of nights where he soiled his crate but once he was in the routine he seemed to try and hold it as he didn't want to mess his bed/den area.

News paper was what I used to give him a space to toilet if he needed. But just routine routine routine.!

Crate training is difficult at first and can feel stressful (or atleast it did for me!) When leaving poppy in her crate she used to whine and make noise but I knew she was safe and had been fed and toileted so it was just for attention.

I split her crate so half of it was her bed so vet bed and her blankets then the other half just had newspaper. she did enjoy tearing the newspaper apart when she got the chance but we stuck to her routine and we made sure she was going out at the same time morning and night and she was doing very well for now going during the night but we were careful as to how much water she had just before bed.

I was warned off the puppy pads as the breeders was talking about all the plastic they could swallow if they shredded them, its scared me, where as paper goes through them.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back