The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy decisions

SarahSC

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, we have been thinking about a puppy for a long time and a neighbour with a beautiful golden retriever has had puppies. Mum has a gorgeous temperament, is petite for a retriever and the dad has a great pedigree. However initially my neighbour said she could keep puppy until after our summer holiday but it turns out we had miscalculated. Puppy will be 8weeks around 17th July, we go on holiday 4th August and keeping the puppy that long is not an option as they had now planned to go on holiday themselves. We have been trying to think of a solution, there are people that could probably puppy sit for a week but she will be with us 2.5 weeks them potentially have 2 more weeks with 2 separate people. I’m fairly sure this would be a bad idea but then others have said it would be fine. I stupidly took children to see the puppies before sorting out if it was possible!

I don't think having a succession of puppy sitters is a great idea - pup needs to settle and bond with it's new family. If you are holidaying in the UK can it go with you?

Or if the puppy sitters could live in at your house? So that the only change is the person in their care and not their surroundings?
You could keep a daily routine which doesn’t change to minimise a stress? And introduce puppy sitter a few times before you go?

We were in a very similar position at Christmas. We live in Saudi so had already planned our trip back to the Uk for Xmas when we got our puppy - once we saw her, we coudn't leave her there, so getting her after the Xmas holidays was not an option for us either. We had her for 4.5 weeks and then went away for 3 weeks. We got her in as much of a routine as possible within those 4 weeks. Sleeping through, crate trained to the extent she could 'hold it' and not go in her crate and got her used to being in her crate and home alone for a couple of hours at a time. We were lucky that our helper was our pet sitter and she moved into our house whilst we were away. The helper and Maggie saw each other quite a bit before we went away which helped. If at all possible, someone should move into your house whilst you are away. This would be the best option as the puppy is then in the same routine and environment. It would be good to have the pet sitter spend as much time with the pup before you go away, so he/she is not a complete stranger. It was difficult for us as Maggie was very much going through a biting stage when we left and she was not the easiest of pups!! I did spend a lot of time worrying how the sitter would be dealing/coping with it. However, it all worked out quite well. We had establised a good bond with Maggie in the first 4 weeks and when we got back she was so pleased to see us. We are going away this Summer and again our helper will move in for the duration of the holidays. It is doable if slightly stressful!!

You might not like this suggestion and it might not go down well with others in your family but have you considered simply cancelling your holiday? Even if it's already paid for, you'll still actually save money if you have a 'staycation'. You will have this dog for many years, and the first few weeks are so important for settling her in and giving her a secure basis from which to develop.

Having said that, my dog is a clingy stresshound and possibly a more easygoing dog will be happy to be with whatever friendly face is there to play with, feed and cuddle them.

Holidaying in Greece and cancelling not an option. I think we will have to pass on these gorgeous bundles and wait until the autumn, thanks for your help guys.

I think you've made a good and responsible decision. Puppies are a joy and a full-on task. Wait till you can get the most out of it without hassle. It'll be worth it.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back