The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy doesnt like me going out

lynyona

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Betty who was bought for me is nearly 13 weeks old now and she can go out walkies tomorrow she has had her injections. There is always someone in at my house so she isn't left alone but when I go to the shops or do the school run to pick my nephew up she barks and whines I can hear her half way down the street any advice would be appreciated. If she is asleep on her bed and I get up from the computer she gets up to check that I'm still there then goes and lays straight down again when she s seen me .She interacts with the rest of the family so its not like they take no interest in her but she prefers my company but she is always pleased to see any of the family who have been out and greets them with a wag of the tail and a jump up .

Throughout the day try walking out of the room she is in for a few seconds then come back & treat, then extend the time you’re out of her sight and again treat when you go back in.

This worked for our little boy. We also leave the radio on (a talk show) so it’s not so silent. An old t-shirt with your smell on in her crate/bed may also help.

Good luck x

It is nice to have that bond with a dog but it can get very tying for you, and of course risks her getting upset if you do have to leave her.

Its a good idea to prepare for this as early as you can - get her used to you walking out of the room then immediately back in again, preferably when she is occupied with something like a Kong. Try to make no fuss, you don't want to prepare her into thinking "oh no this means they are going out" - the aim is for her to barely register you coming and going - ideally for her to have a 'oh, you're back, I didn't notice you leave' reaction. Very, very gradually build up time. If you can put the work in now, it will pay off later. If she gets distressed though you have gone too fast, and created anxiety and that is not what you want. Stair gates are also useful to allow her to see you pottering about in another room, but without being glued to your feet.

You can also reward independent behaviour - praise when your dog is not actively engaged with you, which is actually quite hard to remember to do because we sort of don't notice when it happens!

There are other things you can do like picking up keys and putting on outdoor clothes then not actually going out, to desensitise her to the triggers that signal you leaving.

An Adaptil diffuser releases calming hormones in the house and might also help.

Bless her .Yes I think the only way of her getting used to it is to do it little and often. Also I would be curious to my have you had any complaints from neighbours? If you haven't it could just be the case of her initial reaction to you leaving and then she calms down while you are out. Also do you leave her in a crate when you go out?

Bless her .Yes I think the only way of her getting used to it is to do it little and often. Also I would be curious to my have you had any complaints from neighbours? If you haven't it could just be the case of her initial reaction to you leaving and then she calms down while you are out. Also do you leave her in a crate when you go out?
My neighbours haven't complained but they are out a lot she does settle down after a while my sons say its just the initial knowing I'm going somewhere. She only goes in her crate to go to sleep she doesn't like it much I cant shut her in she goes crazy which I am slowly addressing because there may be an occasion where she needs to be in it on the rare occasion that no one is home with her

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back