The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Puppy doing well with training but ...

Discussion in 'Dog Behaviour and Training' started by lynyona, May 13, 2018.

1. lynyona

lynyona Member Registered

Betty is 13 weeks old and I try to do some training with her every day she s been sitting for a while will come when I call her and she will lay down more often than not when asked I only do about 5 minutes as she loses interest but I am having trouble with stay..ive watched the training videos on how to teach stay but as soon as I do the hand signal or say stay she thinks its a que to jump up and bite my hand ..any ideas

Violet Turner likes this.
  2. merlina

merlina Well-Known Member Registered

Maybe too many things too quickly? I've had dogs of varying intelligence levels ans with some you could move on to the next stage quite soon whereas with others you had to consolidate the learning, keep going back and only then go on.

Violet Turner, Flobo and lynyona like this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

I wonder if she is maybe a little young to learn a stay? Puppies, like children, don't have much impulse control.

Flobo, lynyona and merlina like this.
  4. Caro Perry

Caro Perry Well-Known Member Registered

I think you may be asking too much too soon. Your pup is still very youg.

I set up a list of my priorities - recall was the absolute number 1 followed by a bombproof sit (that can get you out of all sorts of difficulties) and "leave it" ( gets you out of most of the rest). Harri is bright enough but very independent minded so working on these 3 was a full time job. He now scores well on 2 out of the 3 ( recall hah!) and will sit until he gets the release command ( which is of course essentially a stay...) . Over time I've added in a few more for variety and fun.

5. leashedForLife

leashedForLife Well-Known Member Registered

go here, & follow the directions as given -
    Training Levels (originals) | Mind to Mind

Proofing is the part of training that owners forget to do - that's practice of known cued behaviors around Distractions, with increasing Distance from the handler, & for longer Durations - the 3 Ds.
    Levels Training is entirely written-out for U, & all the proofing is built-into the training. :)

Sue-eh?, the author, is a well-known Canadian trainer who uses rewards to teach desired behaviors, rather than punishing un-desired behaviors - her specialty is training SDs for disabled handlers, & sports dogs [agility, carting, & so on].

- terry

6. Violet Turner

Violet Turner Well-Known Member Registered

Go slowly with things dogs learn slow and steady

lynyona likes this.