The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy doing well with training but ...

lynyona

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Betty is 13 weeks old and I try to do some training with her every day she s been sitting for a while will come when I call her and she will lay down more often than not when asked I only do about 5 minutes as she loses interest but I am having trouble with stay..ive watched the training videos on how to teach stay but as soon as I do the hand signal or say stay she thinks its a que to jump up and bite my hand ..any ideas

Maybe too many things too quickly? I've had dogs of varying intelligence levels ans with some you could move on to the next stage quite soon whereas with others you had to consolidate the learning, keep going back and only then go on.

I wonder if she is maybe a little young to learn a stay? Puppies, like children, don't have much impulse control.

I think you may be asking too much too soon. Your pup is still very youg.

I set up a list of my priorities - recall was the absolute number 1 followed by a bombproof sit (that can get you out of all sorts of difficulties) and "leave it" ( gets you out of most of the rest). Harri is bright enough but very independent minded so working on these 3 was a full time job. He now scores well on 2 out of the 3 ( recall hah!) and will sit until he gets the release command ( which is of course essentially a stay...) . Over time I've added in a few more for variety and fun.

go here, & follow the directions as given -
Training Levels (originals) | Mind to Mind

Proofing is the part of training that owners forget to do - that's practice of known cued behaviors around Distractions, with increasing Distance from the handler, & for longer Durations - the 3 Ds.
Levels Training is entirely written-out for U, & all the proofing is built-into the training. :)

Sue-eh?, the author, is a well-known Canadian trainer who uses rewards to teach desired behaviors, rather than punishing un-desired behaviors - her specialty is training SDs for disabled handlers, & sports dogs [agility, carting, & so on].

- terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back